Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grayed out Time Machine

Hi

My Time Machine back-up drive was disconnected and I've accidentally deleted an important Mail folder which I'd like to retrieve.

On entering Time Machine I can see all of the emails that I want to restore and they all load OK in the preview pane below. However the 'restore' button is grayed out.

Also if I exit Time Machine and then reenter, none of the emails can be viewed, I assume because it updates to the actual situation.

I know all of the emails are in the system somewhere as I can see them, but how can I get them back into my Mail folder?

Many thanks for your help.

Grant

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 4:25 PM

TM no longer supports the email app. starting with Catalina. All your emails are in your user/library/mail/V folders. However, finding a specific email is very time consuming and tedious at best. I recommend users to now use a third party app like MailBackupX to keep a good backup of all the emails.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 4:25 PM in response to Grant 777

TM no longer supports the email app. starting with Catalina. All your emails are in your user/library/mail/V folders. However, finding a specific email is very time consuming and tedious at best. I recommend users to now use a third party app like MailBackupX to keep a good backup of all the emails.

grayed out Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.