Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore deleted mail from time machine - OSX Monterey

I deleted all my smart mailboxes for one account and somehow all my email from that account was deleted. I cannot find the files in Time Machine. Instructions say to open time machine while in the mailbox you wish to restore, but time machine opens with the Desktop. What am I doing wrong?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 10:43 AM

Thanks... I found yesterday's TM backup, opened Mail, located V9 folder and copied the entire thing to Desktop. 125,000 files. Then imported to Mail. looked thru a dozen numerically named folders and identified what I needed and what I didn't. Dragged them from the Mail "import" folder to correct email folder... I'm back to normal!!! Just deleted the "import" folder and all good!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 10:43 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks... I found yesterday's TM backup, opened Mail, located V9 folder and copied the entire thing to Desktop. 125,000 files. Then imported to Mail. looked thru a dozen numerically named folders and identified what I needed and what I didn't. Dragged them from the Mail "import" folder to correct email folder... I'm back to normal!!! Just deleted the "import" folder and all good!

Apr 22, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Peter Mars

TM really does not support email any longer. However you may get a mailbox back by following this:

To restore mailbox:

Open Finder

Click “GO” in top menu bar then click option key

Open mail folder

Open V9 folder

Then find the folders labeled with cryptic titles (at this point you could open TM if you want to go back in time)

Look down through those folders to find a mailbox (note: there may be more than one with same label).

If it contains email you want you can copy to desktop

Go back into mail and import that folder from your desktop

How to restore deleted mail from time machine - OSX Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.