Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to deselect "add people" in Extensions preferences in OS Catalina.

Is there some reason I can't deselect "add people" in my system preferences/extensions/share Menu?

I'm using iMac, running OS Catalina 10.15.7. The check mark is grayed out. Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 5:40 PM

A little more research finds that Add People is a macOS Sharing extension, as are Mail, Messages and AirDrop.They are considered required/default extensions for that particular menu, and as such cannot be easily removed. Add People is for including people in file sharing.

Use the Share menu on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 5:40 PM in response to JimDon2022

A little more research finds that Add People is a macOS Sharing extension, as are Mail, Messages and AirDrop.They are considered required/default extensions for that particular menu, and as such cannot be easily removed. Add People is for including people in file sharing.

Use the Share menu on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2021 4:51 PM in response to JimDon2022

Reboot your Mac and see if the problem is cleared.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Nov 27, 2021 5:53 PM in response to JimDon2022

You're welcome. I have the same extensions defaulted in my Share menu in Catalina, btw.

As for Norton, I'd recommend disabling/uninstalling it. Third part anti-virus, clean up and optimizing apps tend to create more problems in macOS than they prevent. The Mac is pretty good at keeping itself secure if you keep it updated, don't add invasive software and you follow good computing hygiene.

Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/1/web/1

XProtect Explained: How Your Mac’s Built-in Anti-malware Software Works - How-To Geek:

https://www.howtogeek.com/217043/xprotect-explained-how-your-macs-built-in-anti-malware-works/

Nov 27, 2021 5:27 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you for your reply D.I.

I tried that, but to no avail. I tried it twice. lol

I'm also suspicious that it is a 3rd party software program that put it there, as I don't remember it ever being there before. I have had Norton take over and run some errands for me, but I figured it would go away if it was them, after safe booting.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep searching.

Unable to deselect "add people" in Extensions preferences in OS Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.