Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Wrist Detection and Tattoos

Firstly, let me say that I am a huge Apple fan and really love every one of their products that I have purchased, of which there really have been many over the years. I use multiple Apple devices daily and I am continuously impressed by these products and the everyday usefulness of the ecosystem they create.

Save one question, why has there not been a solution provided for the auto locking of the Apple Watch when wearing it on a tattooed wrist?

After 7 iterations of the Apple watch, reading between the lines of the seeming indifference towards this issue simply leaves someone like myself; who lives with this problem daily, blatantly marginalised and seemingly undervalued by a brand to which I am otherwise a loyal devotee. I fail to see how such an advanced and resourceful company, cannot find a better way to facilitate wrist detection than the current status quo. Now that being said, I would rather put up with a a few potentially inaccurate health sensor readings than have to live with a watch that constantly locks itself and stops me from receiving any notifications or any functionality what so ever, so I do accept these readings will be affected but that doesn’t mean I’m ok with being locked out of my watch constantly because I have a tattoo on my wrist.  Now, please don’t suggest that I disable wrist detection as I feel like this is an insult as a customer, to pay full price for a product and then being forced to disable almost all of the functionality that makes the Apple Watch so intuitive and useful.

I see that the new AirPods 3 have “skin detection technology”. Could this possibly be introduced in to the Apple Watch to resolve this wrist detection issue? There is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed and not just by placing a few dismissive lines of text buried inside the fine print of the terms and conditions of use, that I’ve seen referred to all over the Internet. 

I really feel that I am not the only one with this frustration and it is not a new issue, surely this deserves at least some attention or some encouragement that this will be addressed in the near future.

Thank you

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 6:19 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apple Watch Wrist Detection and Tattoos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.