Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I covert my folders back into folders??? Finder is converted some of my folders into packages!

Finder is converting some of my folders into packages...

How do I change them back to folders?

I have several websites that I have made and am making and so have the folders named by their corresponding domains.

For years I have had the folders named this way e.g. website.com without any issue.

For some reason one day, some of the folders where converted into, what I believe you would call, "packages" ...

I have to right click to get the menu option for seeing the contents and access them to continue working on them as usual.

The contents are hidden.

It is very impractical.

I have tried renaming the folders, including removing the "dot" (although I have some folders with domain extensions other than ".com" e.g. ".co.uk" that were not affected) and now I have multiple copies of each.

Finder/iCloud seems to have duplicated both the renamed folders and the "packages" randomly and without a discernible pattern to the number of duplicates...

I have not been able to find the. answer to this online.

I would really like just to change the folders back to folders please?

Perhaps you please tell me the commands to use in the terminal?

Also will this keep happening or can I use the ".com" in future or must I use "_com"?

P.S. It has nothing to do with "stacks".

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 12:22 PM

It sounds like you have installed some app that wants to use the ".com" extension as its own.

Right click on one of those packages. What does it say for the default "open with"? That's probably the culprit.

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 4, 2021 12:43 PM in response to etresoft

I follow your logic, and already explored it and it doesn't make a difference to the state of the files and folders, are you are following the thread of the previous answers?

The default application "to open with" (is activated as the folders are still packages/applications) on some of them is my web browser (which is normal) and finder on others that also remain stuck as packages.

I have renamed the folders and they remain as packages and have duplicated

I really just want to correct the error

How do I covert my folders back into folders??? Finder is converted some of my folders into packages!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.