You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missed calls/FaceTime while phone is off

Okay so this has been plaguing me for YEARS. I like to power off my devices especially my phone while I sleep and I vividly remember waking up turning my phone back on and seeing missed calls or FaceTimes. It was like this on all of my iPhones (6s, X, and Xs Max) up until I got the 11 Pro Max I want to say or Xs Max and I could never figure out why it stopped doing that. The only way I would see if I did get a phone call while it was off was if I had a voicemail but there would still be no “record” of a phone call in my missed call. Since then I’ve had the 12 pro max and now 13 pro max and this feature has never came back anyone with suggestions ?

I spoke with an apple representative once and they told me I still should be receiving all my notifications like text and other apps and including missed calls or FaceTime when I power the phone back on and it might be my carrier (I’m with AT&T).

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 12:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 12:39 PM

Thank you for your response and I have seen other people say what you said. But I know what I remember and no I did not have DND on my phone was shut off for the night then when I woke up I turned it back on and would see a missed call from say my mother or a missed FaceTime call from a friend. If that’s the case with phone calls/FaceTime “it never reached the phone cause it’s off” then how can we still receive text messages and voicemails while it’s off ???

as for my Dads iPhone I tried it on his turned his phone off and called it and when we turned it back on he definitely got a notification of a missed call and FaceTime from me

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2021 12:39 PM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your response and I have seen other people say what you said. But I know what I remember and no I did not have DND on my phone was shut off for the night then when I woke up I turned it back on and would see a missed call from say my mother or a missed FaceTime call from a friend. If that’s the case with phone calls/FaceTime “it never reached the phone cause it’s off” then how can we still receive text messages and voicemails while it’s off ???

as for my Dads iPhone I tried it on his turned his phone off and called it and when we turned it back on he definitely got a notification of a missed call and FaceTime from me

Nov 30, 2021 4:07 PM in response to jmarine_

Hi jmarine_,

Thanks for the follow up details! We're happy to provide more information on how cellular networks and phones work.

For your question "If that’s the case with phone calls/FaceTime “it never reached the phone cause it’s off” then how can we still receive text messages and voicemails while it’s off ???", this would be because voicemail/text messages work a completely different way than phone calls.

A phone call is a real time event, meaning you dial a number and press call, the phone connects and sends that call to the other person, they receive the call on their phone and then press answer. For a phone call to work, it requires two phones that are on and connected to the network, and a person actively talking on each end. This is why if you call a phone that is powered off or has no service, it doesn't ring and gets routed right to voicemail.

Now for messages and voicemail, they work in a completely different way since they don't need to occur in real time. So for example, if you call someone and their phone is off or doesn't have service, you'll be sent directly to the voicemail system which is stored on their carriers network. If you leave a voicemail, that message is stored on the carriers voicemail server, and the next time the phone connects to the network, the voicemail server will deliver a notification to the phone letting them know they have a new voicemail.

Messaging works in a similar way. While messages are not permanently stored on the server like voicemail, they will be stored there temporarily until they can be delivered. So for example, if you send a message to someone and their phone is off, when their carrier attempts to deliver it, the network will see that the phone is not currently connected and it will hold those messages in queue on their SMS server until the next time the phone connects to the network. When the phone connects to the network again, the message queue will be released from the server and delivered to the device.

Missed FaceTime calls can show in certain situations if you're using multiple devices. So say for example you have an iPhone and an iPad. You turn off the iPhone, but leave the iPad powered on. Someone then tries to make a FaceTime call to you. Since a device that is associated with your FaceTime phone number has an active connection (the iPad) the call can still come through on that iPad. Now if you don't touch the missed notification on the iPad and turn your iPhone back on, you'll see that missed notification in FaceTime on the phone as well.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Nov 30, 2021 6:34 AM in response to jmarine_

Hi jmarine_,

We understand you have questions on the "Missed Call" log. We're happy to help.

Now the representative was correct in that you should still receive messages that are sent to you while the phone is powered off, however any attempted calls would not appear in your call log. This would have nothing to do with your wireless carrier, as it is just the way cell phones work.

"Missed Calls" are phone calls that actually came in to the phone, and you just didn't pick up. If your phone is powered off, it has no network connection, therefore calls are never actually reaching the phone, which is why it doesn't have a way to track those calls, and they wouldn't show up on the Missed Calls page. The calls were technically never "missed" because they never reached the phone.

If you were previously seeing missed calls on older devices, you may have been using something like Do Not Disturb to silence all notifications, instead of completely turning off the device.

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iPhone, as well as any other cell phone functions in this same way. A phone needs to have an active connection to the cellular network at the time the call comes in to display it in the call log.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Missed calls/FaceTime while phone is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.