You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong UA keyboard layout in Monterey

How can I get back to Ukrainian keyboard layout from pre-Monterey versions? In the macOS Monterey UA keyboard layout they've switched places for a couple of crucial keys, which now makes typing a pain

For example, earlier the accent sign ( ʼ ) was on the same key as tilda (the one under the Esc key), and typing Ukrainian letter combination like "матірʼю" or "завʼється" was easy, with a sequential work of left pinkie - right pinkie. Now the accent mark is moved to the key above enter, and it's a whole lot of work on one right pinkie, which makes typing these words ridiculously slow.

Moreover, there's no "forward slash" anymore on that key above the Enter, and there's no possibility to type this symbol without switching to an EN keyboard layout and back, and it makes it even more ridiculous.

Why did Apple had to change the UA key layout in Monterey and making it worse? How can I bring a normal convenient keyboard layout back?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 3:19 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 29, 2021 7:09 AM in response to omalishe

omalishe wrote: How can I get back to Ukrainian keyboard layout from pre-Monterey versions?

Just go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and use the + button to add the keyboard called "Ukrainian Legacy" and use the - button to remove the one called "Ukrainian".

(Note that the accent sign is under escape only on a US ANSI keyboard. On a European ISO keyboard it will be located on the to right of the left shift key.)

Wrong UA keyboard layout in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.