Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My entire ITunes library suddenly began showing exclamation marks!!! :(

It was fine just yesterday!

It’s my MacBook Pro, an older one (2013) that I use only for music. Today, I was listening to an album on it while deleting duplicates and, suddenly, exclamation marks started appearing and, now, they’re everywhere.

:(

I attempted the response a clever person named “turingtest2” suggested in a similar question but, first, I wasn’t certain if the first instruction was “command dash capital letter i,” or…???

Also, when I select the song and get the error message, there is no “no” response to choose, only “locate” or “cancel.”

Can someone please advise me?

THANK YOU!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 8:53 AM

The exclamation mark means iTunes has lost track of where your music is stored. It's usually inside an iTunes folder in your Music folder; clicking on the "Locate" button should let you navigate through the folders to where the music file for the song is stored. Then it will usually ask if you want iTunes to locate other missing files; with any luck it will find them all again.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Margaret1448

The exclamation mark means iTunes has lost track of where your music is stored. It's usually inside an iTunes folder in your Music folder; clicking on the "Locate" button should let you navigate through the folders to where the music file for the song is stored. Then it will usually ask if you want iTunes to locate other missing files; with any luck it will find them all again.

My entire ITunes library suddenly began showing exclamation marks!!! :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.