Error 13010: How Do I Fix It?

I'm hoping someone here might have the solution to my issue. I'm running Ventura 13.3 on a 14" 2023 Macbook Pro (M2 Max), although I had the same problem when I was still using my 2017 Macbook, which was one of the many reasons I upgraded my laptop this past March.

I've been getting the following error whenever I try to add or delete music from my Apple Music app:

The Music Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (13010).

To be clear, I am not a subscriber of Apple Music. I use the app in the same way one would use iTunes. I have a library of 12,000 songs with actual files. They are all encoded at 256kbps AAC or higher.

This error just showed up spontaneously one day. I imagine that a corrupted file from a CD I ripped may have caused this. A few months into using my new Macbook, the error has inevitably returned, and is driving me insane.

If I restart my Mac, or sometimes even just quit the app and open it back up again, my entire library is gone. I must then Option+Click on the app to manually locate and choose my library. Recently added music often needs to be re-added, which will then prompt the error message again.

As many internet forums suggest, I've deleted the Genius.itdb file; I've consolidated my audio files; and I've deleted the past few months worth of new music from my library, slowly adding back files in order to identify the corrupted file, if there is one. ****, at one point I even rebuilt my entire library. I converted everything to AAC (within the app), and left my lossless files outside of my library. But even after all of that, I'm still getting this error message.

I've contacted the Apple Support phone number and they didn't really have any idea of what to do.

Does anyone have any insight into this? If there's a corrupted audio file, is there an efficient way to locate it? Or might there me some other issue going on here? Switching to a streaming service is not an option for me, given how many albums I have that are unavailable on them.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 6:56 AM

This thread refers to errors while syncing music to another device. I can sync my library to my iPhone just fine. This problem occurs when I simply want to add or remove music on my MacBook. I have already gone through every step on that thread, including manually rebuilding my library from scratch. I even went a step farther, and converted all 12,000 songs to Apple AAC, in an attempt to eliminate any "problem" files.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 6:56 AM in response to javaliga

This thread refers to errors while syncing music to another device. I can sync my library to my iPhone just fine. This problem occurs when I simply want to add or remove music on my MacBook. I have already gone through every step on that thread, including manually rebuilding my library from scratch. I even went a step farther, and converted all 12,000 songs to Apple AAC, in an attempt to eliminate any "problem" files.

Jul 6, 2023 11:38 AM in response to WileyBumtail

Yes, the last point is most probably the issue. Apple have a nice cloud syncing and music subscription service for you to use in the form of Apple Music or iTunes Match. They don't expect you to keep your library inside a folder that syncs to the cloud via some other service. Google Drive may lock access to a file it is copying at the same time that Music wants to updated. FWIW almost any action such as playing a track or changing metadata will cause the library to be updated. The usual method is that a new hidden .tmp file is written out, the original deleted, and the .tmp file renamed to replace it. Since you're not seeing any .tmp files it may be the block is happening elsewhere in the process. Try pausing Google Drive and see if the error stops occuring.

tt2

Jul 6, 2023 6:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply, TT2. I think you might be onto something.

• Running Music in safe mode produces the same error.
  • Yes, I have third-party security software, BUT it does not run in the background, nor does it open at login. It's called Bitdefender, and I haven't even run a scan since purchasing this MacBook a few months ago.
  • I have looked inside the package contents of both the App and Music Library.musiclibrary file. I can't even find a single .tmp file. Perhaps the problem lies within Music failing to create a .tmp in the first place?
  • Something that I should note is that I do use the Google Drive app to automatically backup documents, including my music folder. This app constantly runs in the background and opens at login. While it's not a security software, I think it might meet the criteria for "Music file-disrupting program."

Jul 5, 2023 11:03 AM in response to WileyBumtail

Try holding down option+cmd as you launch Music. This should open it in safe mode and may sometimes correct various internal errors in the library. Depending on circumstances creating a new library in Music may not necessarily change which library Finder attempts to sync to your device. Do you have any third-party security software? This can potentially disrupt the way that files within the Music Library.musiclibrary package are updated. Take a look inside (right-click > show package contents). Are there multiple .tmp files?

tt2

Error 13010: How Do I Fix It?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.