Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey compatibility

Hi, I'm currently using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13", 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, running macOS Catalina.

It has been slightly modified, replacing with a SSD and 8GB RAM (up from 4GB when bought).

I know this model isn't listed as compatible with macOS Monterey on the support pages, but noticed on my machine the listing in the Mac App Store is saying "Works with this MacBook Pro" under compatibility and gives me the option to install it. I'm wondering if it's because of the changes I made?

I'm now toying with the idea of trying to install it since it's saying it'll work on my machine, but wary as it's working well and don't want to brick it doing something stupid! Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 7:09 AM

That would be an error on the Apple Apps Store.

Regardless of the modification done to the computer - it will not upgrade beyond Catalina

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers

Does the intended computer qualify for the upgrade to Big Sur

6 replies

Nov 29, 2021 7:12 AM in response to maparish

You cannot install macOS Monterey on your 2012 MBP it is not on the compatible list.

The App Store has a fault in it where it says 'Works on this Mac' for any mac, the error

has been there in the App Store for about 2 years, Apple haven't done anything about it.

I am writing to you on an ancient 2008 mac that can only upgrade as far as Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

and the AppStore says 'Works on this mac".

Installing a new SSD and upgrading the RAM has no bearing on your macs ability to install Monterey.

These are the macs that can run macOS Monterey,

MacBook introduced in 2016 or later

MacBook Air introduced in 2015 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in 2015 or later

Mac mini introduced in 2014 or later

iMac introduced in late 2015 or later

iMac Pro introduced in 2017 or later

Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later

MacOS Monterey compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.