Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari v.15 bug @ Youtube

There's a bug in Safari v.15.0 where using either the keyboard shortcut Command+Shift+D, or the menu item (Bookmarks/Add to Reading List) to save a link to a Youtube video causes Safari to crash. The shortcut seems to work fine on other sites, though I haven't tested it exhaustively at other video hosting sites. I didn't know where else to post this, so hopefully it will be addressed.

Thank you.

MBP M1 MacOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 9:44 PM

Apple Support directed me to an update for MacOS 11.6 as well as for Safari, so I will be installing those next. Software Update was bugging me to upgrade to a newer OS, and I overlooked the option to look for updates to my current OS, which is in fine print just below. Update is to MacOS 11.6.1

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 9:44 PM in response to barberlives123

Apple Support directed me to an update for MacOS 11.6 as well as for Safari, so I will be installing those next. Software Update was bugging me to upgrade to a newer OS, and I overlooked the option to look for updates to my current OS, which is in fine print just below. Update is to MacOS 11.6.1

Dec 1, 2021 9:30 AM in response to pici

That’s certainly not the behavior you should experience pici. 

To confirm, were you able to log in to the alternate user after recreating that account? If so, did you experience the same issue with Safari? If the same issue continued in the alternate user account, the next step would be to update macOS. We know you mentioned running macOS Big Sur 11.6, there has been an update released since that version. You can find the steps for updating in the following article. 

Update macOS on Mac

If you continue to have issues after updating, you’ll want to reach out to Apple next. You can find their contact details via the Get Support website. 

Take care!

Dec 1, 2021 11:19 AM in response to pici

Hello pici, 

We truly understand your reservation with updating, and can assure you that updates can be beneficial for reaching a resolution. If you’d rather continue without updating macOS, or if the issue persists after updating, you’ll want proceed with contacting Apple. You can find their contact details via the Get Support website previously linked. For reference the previously linked steps for updating is also included below.

Update macOS on Mac

We hope you have a great rest of your week!

Nov 30, 2021 9:41 AM in response to pici

Hello pici, 

Apple Support Communities is a great place for help with Safari on your Mac. From the description you provided, it sounds as though you’re using keyboard shortcuts to add a bookmark in Safari, but Safari closes when book marking a YouTube page. To confirm, is Safari closing, freezing, or having a different issue? Also, since this issue only occurs when attempting to use that shortcut when bookmarking a YouTube page, try clearing the history by clicking History in the top menu bar, followed by Clear History in the drop-down. 

If you continue to have issues after clearing the history, click Safari in the top menu bar after open Safari, followed by Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data. In the pop-up that appears, click Remove All, followed by Done. 

Let us know how that goes!

Dec 1, 2021 9:51 AM in response to Sharon_419

I was not able to log in with either of the two test admin accounts.

I'm also not a fan of using a system upgrade for solving problems, as it doesn't address the specific issue(s), but paints over it. I've had other issues with MacOS 11.6, specifically with Finder drag & drop glitches, and am seeing Apple choose to make changes that don't to help make using the Mac OS a seamless experience, so am generally disinclined to jump into a new system after only 10 months.

Thanks anyway.

Safari v.15 bug @ Youtube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.