Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bug: safari crash when saving to reading list

Using the latest Safari update (v15.3 (16612.4.9.1.8, 16612)) the program crashes when I try to save a web page to the Reading list. This exact thing happened in an earlier release but was fixed with an update. However it seems the bug is persistent and has reared its ugly head once more. Hopefully this will be addressed ASAP.

MBP M1, MacOS 11.6.3 (20G415)

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 3:15 AM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time -Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

5 - Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 3:15 AM in response to pici

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time -Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

5 - Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 14, 2022 9:54 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the scheme!

Restarting while in safe mode the issue doesn't manifest; subsequent normal restarting the issue returns.

Continuing down your list, I am having a new issue with logging in as a newly created user. The system doesn't recognize the password for the new user. I tried this twice, two different new users, and I can't log in with either new user. It happens at startup, and it happens if I try to switch users from the main account. I also tried this with a safe restart (startup screen displays a list of users)

So I am stuck here.

Feb 14, 2022 10:03 AM in response to pici

Your original Issue " bug: safari crash when saving to reading list " is the sole issue under discussion.

Suggest one works through all the suggestions presented before attempting anything new issues.

Just restarting into Safe Mode does not find where it problem is nor removes that issue.

It only illustrates more work on the part of the User ( you ) is needed to get that issue resolved.

Feb 14, 2022 10:04 AM in response to pici

BTW, I have been running ClamXAV (runs at startup, recent full system scan shows no issues), and I regularly use Cocktail when shutting down. Other than those two I don't think there's anything typically altering or editing system files

Other misc apps running at startup:

1Password, iCopy, MenuMeters, DropBox, SMARTReporter, Little Snitch, Calendar

Feb 14, 2022 10:09 AM in response to PRP_53

That's why I went into such detail in following the troubleshooting scheme. I am stopped at the "new user" portion of the scheme and cannot proceed further, so there is no way to confirm whether the Safari crash is system-wide or not.

Are you suggesting that I start a new thread regarding the new user issue, and once that's resolved, then return to the Safari crash issue?

Feb 14, 2022 2:16 PM in response to pici

ClamXAV and Cocktail - Why the need ?

The OS is very capable to do its own maintenance without Third Party Interferes.

But to each their own

Some of the Original Issue may very well be directly related to Cocktail and then there is Little Snitch

Unless the User is doing some serious high level stuff that requires such Over Control of the computer - the risks of having Glitches with Big Sur are expanded Greatly

Feb 15, 2022 8:43 AM in response to PRP_53

I think this is mostly habit. I am a long time Cocktail user, and run its pilot function to shut down. I don't leave the computer on late at night when the OS does it's maintenance. Early on I used other functions as part of troubleshooting, and it has "saved" my system long ago, but haven't experienced a need to do that level of work with it for more than a few years. My current use of the program feels pretty harmless, IMO.

You're probably right about the ClamXAV. It's also a vestige of earlier, and riskier computer use, and I've now uninstalled it. Same with Little Snitch.

Thank you for the nudge to re-evaluate my setup.

bug: safari crash when saving to reading list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.