Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce "other" space on my iMac?

I'm trying to free up space on my iMac. I see I have 226 GB in Other.

When I click on it nothing happens. How do I reduce this "other"?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:08 PM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2021 4:54 PM in response to MikeFast

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Dec 2, 2021 1:22 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you. I followed your suggestions and got into "other".

I have spent 3 hours deleting stuff that it looks like a don't need anymore. I looked to the right for large GB files. It's time consuming having to put in my passcode each time!

What I don't understand is when I delete a large GB file or photos this amount of GB's don't delete from my "Other" usage.

Of the 250 GB's I have in "Other'" after all this deleting I have only got rid of 4 GB's!

What am I not understanding or doing wrong?

Dec 2, 2021 1:36 PM in response to MikeFast

When you put something in the Trash it is the same as at home. The trash is still in the computer occupying space. It is not until you empty the Trash that you will regain space. Emptying the Trash is something users shoudl be doing periodically. I tend to do mine a couple of times a month.

Remember if you are using Time Machine to backup, even if you empty the Trash you can always restore the data if you find out later you made a mistake by deleting something.

How to reduce "other" space on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.