Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When you set up Macbook (it may be more than air, change the word for device password to passCODE like on Ipad.

I have finally gone all the way with the Apple and bought an Apple Airbook to join my iPhone and iPad, but I have some suggestions (I hope some of you give a thumbs up to this suggestion) that they call the password to get in device to passCODE, was trying to set up things and kept getting my password was wrong, was confused as I was able to get in my airbook, kept changing it on my iPad as I couldn't on the Airpad getting more and more frustrated, until the Apple Support agent who was trying to help me, made me read out loud what I what I was seeing and she figured out that what was meant was the passCODE (as they call the code to get IN the device itself not to get into all the apps etc.). I had bought MacBooks before, and had trouble getting in both times, I think for the same reason, the agents couldn't understand why I was not getting in, despite continually changing them, but this time (because I was told my a friend how Google tracks you and that the Airbook had a really, REALLY good price, I was determined to try to keep and use it.

Also (if corporate reads this) please make sure that the agents in Support listen carefully, and not guess answers. When I bought them earlier, once I wasn't sure if I could use my google voice, one agent just said no, so as I am dependent on it, I decided to return it, what this agent and ALL agents should know, anything that has a webpage can be used, you can use this browser and not need to be on chrome or use a chrome book.

When I wanted to buy it this time, I asked the agent whether or not I could copy and paste on an Airbook like on a laptop highlighting and using CONTROL C and CONTROL V as I couldn't STAND the pinching on the iPad. I was thinking of getting an iPad Pro (where Apple had refurbished ones and a Magic Keyboard (can that be used to highlight and then copy and paste with Command key on the MK??) but the Airbook was cheaper on sale and she I said yes, without realizing on Apple it's different, COMMAND and since I thought I got advice from the horse's mouth (or rather a trained Apple expert,) she was right, getting VERY frustrated that some things were not able to be copied and pasted and then realized ALL of them were that way. (This agent whose name I didn't get was very ILL informed so might have just been her-told me I could get gift cards with refurbished products also-FYI, you can NOT.)

I have learned rather than trying to do a search to find out to do things, since Apple Support (unlike Apple Support) is there forever as long as you own an Apple product, might well to just call! (point of fact when I did a search for changing password, it showed for the accounts NOT the misnamed passcode for getting in the devices.). As a VERY fiscally prudent person who once traded an iPad I won for a Chromebook (I won a second one which I didn't want also, was trying to win free ship wi fi minutes but was persuaded to keep it as the cruise was half over and glad I did) I feel the live support you get with Apple is PRICELESS (lost access to gmail and thus all my contacts) and google NEVER had support only community forum answers or links to preprinted answers, initially they offered support to their Chromebooks, (that was started by Amazon!) GSuites, Google pixel phones, and then stopped. Well, I hope others second my suggestion and someone answers about the Magic Keyboard (posted this publicly so others can read the answer.)

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 6:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 8:55 PM

Hi Evagoblin,

Unfortunately, we can't guarantee that Apple reads any of the posts on Apple Support Communities. This is a user-to-user forum, and most of us don't work for Apple at all.

Your Mac login password is likely termed as a password, and not as a passcode, in order to suggest stronger security. That is, your Mac login password should be stronger (more complex) than a typical 6-digit iPhone passcode.

Most Apple devices assume that they belong to one person, and that they will only be used by that person. The word "passcode" fits well in that context, since a passcode is often used to guard access to an entire device. Macs are different - they can be used by multiple people without being erased. To compensate for this, Macs operate differently and use the word "password":

• When you first set up your MacBook Air, it prompted you to create the first user account on the system. All of your files and data, except for your apps, are saved inside this user account. User accounts are tied directly to your Mac; they are not Apple IDs.

• If you choose to do so, you can create additional user accounts on your Mac in System Preferences -> Users and Groups. This allows other people (such as family members) to use your Mac as well. Each person should have exactly one user account for themselves.

• Each user account that you create has its own desktop, files, and personal settings. However, apps are shared by all users.

In contrast, an Apple ID is used to access Apple online services, such as iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 8:55 PM in response to Evagoblin

Hi Evagoblin,

Unfortunately, we can't guarantee that Apple reads any of the posts on Apple Support Communities. This is a user-to-user forum, and most of us don't work for Apple at all.

Your Mac login password is likely termed as a password, and not as a passcode, in order to suggest stronger security. That is, your Mac login password should be stronger (more complex) than a typical 6-digit iPhone passcode.

Most Apple devices assume that they belong to one person, and that they will only be used by that person. The word "passcode" fits well in that context, since a passcode is often used to guard access to an entire device. Macs are different - they can be used by multiple people without being erased. To compensate for this, Macs operate differently and use the word "password":

• When you first set up your MacBook Air, it prompted you to create the first user account on the system. All of your files and data, except for your apps, are saved inside this user account. User accounts are tied directly to your Mac; they are not Apple IDs.

• If you choose to do so, you can create additional user accounts on your Mac in System Preferences -> Users and Groups. This allows other people (such as family members) to use your Mac as well. Each person should have exactly one user account for themselves.

• Each user account that you create has its own desktop, files, and personal settings. However, apps are shared by all users.

In contrast, an Apple ID is used to access Apple online services, such as iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime.

When you set up Macbook (it may be more than air, change the word for device password to passCODE like on Ipad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.