Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move To iOS app transfer error solutions

Hi, if you're like me and bought your not-so-tech-saavy parent an iPhone and want to transfer their data from their Android phone to their shiny new iPhone. Oh, look! Apple has a handy app to do that. BUT IT NEVER SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETES THE TRANSFER.

Well, after hours of frustration, here's what I did to get the process to work.

Notes

• I am assuming you are following the official documentation on how to use the app
  • I did the transfer from a Pixel 3a running Android 11. The new device is a Mini 13. I hope this post helps you but your mileage may vary.
  • You might have to periodically start over many times. By starting over I mean resetting the iPhone by holding down the power button and tapping "Start Over". And reinstalling the Move To iOS app from the Android device.

On the new iPhone

• Just follow the aforementioned official docs until you get to the "Apps & Data" screen. Go ahead and skip whatever setup up til that section cause you might have to reset if the transfer fails. Just set that stuff up after the transfer finishes.
  • Make sure to take note of the wifi network the phone is connected to.

On the old Android Phone

• Install the "Move to iOS" app
  • Probably not necessary but it's one of my steps that got it working for me: Under Settings > Network and Internet >Wifi, just straight up forget all your saved wifi networks in your area.
  • Connect to the same wifi network that the iPhone is connected to.
  • IMPORTANT STEP: Under Settings > Network & internet > Advanced, disable "Adaptive Connectivity"
  • IMPORTANT STEP: Under that wifi network's settings(cogwheel icon by the network name in the wifi network list) > Advanced, disable "Auto-Connect"

Back to the iPhone

• Tap "Move Data from Android". Follow the prompts until you get a code.

Back to Android phone

• Open the "Move to iOS" app
  • Follow prompts. Input code.
  • You should now be prompted to connect to a temporary wifi network that is named something like "iOS b2d2dd". Connect to it.
    • If you don't see this prompt, STOP. DON'T PASS GO. You probably did everything right but something has still gone wrong. The transfer will not work without being on this temporary network. Try reinstalling the app and trying again. If that doesn't work, try starting over on the iPhone(hold power button) and trying again.
  • After connecting you should now be on that "iOS xxxxxx" wifi network and be prompted to select what data you want to transfer.
  • Select the data and proceed.
  • The app should now be "Processing". This took almost an hour for me for just 500mb of text messages, so be patient.
    • If you are no longer connected to the "iOS xxxxxx" wifi network. STOP. DO NOT PASS GO. The transfer has already failed. You did nothing wrong and the app won't let you know. You'll have to start over.
  • After it's done preparing, you should now be transmitting the data. There's a progress bar here. If you made it this far without many retries, I envy you.
    • Don't hold your breath though cause for whatever fickle reason you might get a Transfer Error here too. I think it might be because the iPhone is in standby. What worked for me was keeping the iPhone display from sleeping as the transfer was going on. This might take a while. I spent my time looking through Accessibility Settings (hold power button to access). Lots of cool features here and kudos to Apple for making the device so accessible.
  • Transfer completes. Hopefully you have made it this far.

Apple, please re-build this experience. It's honestly one of the worst migration experiences ever.

Some feedback

• Preparing transmission on the Android side takes so long. Can you add a progress bar here, if possible?
    • Can you add a retry feature here if the transfer fails, so we don't have to go through preparation all over again?
  • Some better error messaging please? If the Android phone disconnected from the temporary wifi network, how about you error here instead of later?
  • Update your documentation to make note of wifi settings that need to be disabled on the Android phone. I believe the Android dynamically changing wifi networks is the main reason transfers error out.
  • I appreciate the use of a temporary wifi network to do the data transmission over. Super secure and data never touches an Apple server. But can you please make sure the Android device is connected to the network? If the iPhone is the host, should it not be trivial to check for that?
  • Is there a timeout on how long the temporary wifi network stays up without receiving data from the Android device? If so, bump that up. Again, preparing takes forever and often the Android device disconnects from the temporary network during this stage.

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 2:12 PM

Thanks your guide is very helpful and helped me get through a lot of unexplained error messages, but now I've reached the most frustrating one of all. Twice now I've done the process all the way through, keeping the iPhone off standby by tapping the screen every 2 minutes for an hour and thirty minutes but when I get to Time remaining: 1 minute the progress bar freezes and I get a Transfer Error on my Android device. I have no idea what else to do, this whole process is extremely frustrating and I hope they fix it soon.

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 2:12 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Thanks your guide is very helpful and helped me get through a lot of unexplained error messages, but now I've reached the most frustrating one of all. Twice now I've done the process all the way through, keeping the iPhone off standby by tapping the screen every 2 minutes for an hour and thirty minutes but when I get to Time remaining: 1 minute the progress bar freezes and I get a Transfer Error on my Android device. I have no idea what else to do, this whole process is extremely frustrating and I hope they fix it soon.

Mar 27, 2022 9:38 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

yep I had the same experience, waiting an hour or more for it to just fail.

Leave it overnight, fail

Keep tapping the screen to keep it awake, fail

de-select everything when transferring hoping to just get messages, fail

Moving from iOS to Android was seamless 5 years ago this is a horrible experience trying to move back in 2022. Not sure I made the right decision buying another iPhone

Feb 7, 2022 1:26 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

I tried following all these steps, but every time I got to the transfer part, it never asked me to connect to a temporary iOS wifi.

• I had to remove and forget all my wifi networks (not sure this had anything to do with it though)
  • Remove auto re-connect to the wifi on my Android phone
  • I completely disconnected from the wifi on my Android
  • Got the transfer code on my iPhone
  • Put the transfer code in on my Android on the Move to iOS app (without being connected to wifi)
  • Only after doing all of this did it ask to connect to the temporary iOS wifi and allow me to start the transfer

I would always get to the transfer part, see an estimate, but it would always fail. Only after I did the above did it actually prompt me to connect to the iOS network. Still don't know if the transfer will succeed though, as I'm currently doing the transfer while writing this.

Jan 6, 2022 2:44 PM in response to move-to-ios-is-bad

So I found out something with my transfer. When it errored out near the end and I finished the setup anyway I found that a portion of my data transferred anyway. It might be that that is causing the continued error even after it nearly completes. It might help to finish setup and do a full factory reset on the phone before trying again with the method above if it has already errored out, though I can’t say for sure because I got frustrated and gave up on it after that.

Dec 1, 2021 7:09 AM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Hello fix_move_to_iOS_app,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We can see you've been using Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Although you've been able to complete the transfer, you'd like to leave feedback for the process.

This will help you get to the right place for this feedback: Product Feedback - Apple.

Since you're newer to using an iPhone, here's a User Guide: iPhone User Guide It's a good reference to have if needed as you use your new device. We hope you enjoy your new iPhone!

Take care.

Apr 12, 2022 10:02 AM in response to shalaka7

@shalaka7

@ilyaan

Personally, I found an old version of the Move to IOS app for Android and it finally worked - first try. Apple must've broken it in one of the updates.

It's not recommended to download or install old apps that aren't from a verified Play Store, so all I can say is:

• Factually, it worked and was the solution for me.
  • It is heavily discouraged by Apple.

Feb 8, 2022 11:08 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Pleas use these apps so apple will change their “Move To IOS App!!!!!!!!!

“Copy my data” in search for whatever App Store you have!!!!!

use photo select your choice all of them work easy peasy

i am saddened to see apple fail and fall at this but generic apps are fully functional

😩

BTW YES I HAVE USED THIS IN MINUTES BUT ONLY VIDEOS TAKE AN HOUR BE AWARE

Feb 8, 2022 11:43 PM in response to qasim136

Sure

Pleas use these apps so apple will change their “Move To IOS App!!!!!!!!!

“Copy my data” in search for whatever App Store you have!!!!!

use photo select your choice all of them work easy peasy

i am saddened to see apple fail and fall at this but generic apps are fully functional

😩

BTW YES I HAVE USED THIS IN MINUTES BUT ONLY VIDEOS TAKE AN HOUR BE AWARE

Dec 3, 2021 3:18 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Thanks a ton for sharing this. I have been banging my head trying to transfer data from my Samsung Note 9 for days to get text messages over. It is funny how this is the only helpful resource I've found on this despite the app having what appear to be hundreds of one star reviews saying it doesn't work on the Google play store over the last few weeks.

Feb 8, 2022 8:26 PM in response to tgok23

Wth apple 😒

it should never show a error message the phone when up and running and completely set up never does this not even on updates

its sad one thing leads to anothe apple stars being like other companies just throwing stuff out there added on to make the product seem easier 🤔

btw Steve job would have never done something like the buggy move to iOS it would have been unbuggy and perfect. Get it together apple 😩

Feb 16, 2022 2:40 AM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Most pathetic and the first experience on iOS! I am trying to complete my data transfer from Android to iPhone since 3 days now. This app is really frustrating. My temporary wifi (iOS XXXXX) connection gets broken so often and for petty reasons. Whenever iphone display turning off every 15 seconds or for some other reason the iPhone (host) just stops being a wifi hotspot, the connection breaks and throws an error. Much disappointing after spending 3 days doing this with no result. I unselected my messages and photos from being transferred and the transfer ended pretty much quickly with my apps being transferred. Partly my photos and text messages also did transfer but it there's no saying which ones weren't transferred. So effectively all my data couldn't be transferred to iPhone.

Mar 14, 2022 2:39 PM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

Hi All. Despite trying all the above options was never able to click on the item temporary wifi network icon, although my android phone was showing the iPhone id in the wifi network to which it was connected to! At least 6 failed to complete transfer attempts . Tried to leave out certain transfer options but it seemed to make no difference. Usually failed in the last 10 minutes of the transfer process. Eventually it did complete the process and I know of no reason why it did eventually complete .

Spoke to Apple help who said that the problem is you have 2 completely different phone systems so making them talk to one another is extremely difficult and in their research 50% of users fail to be successful. They ,Apple, had no input in the production of the Move to IOS app so can only help to get round the problem by helping customers to do a manual transfer if all else fails.

Apr 1, 2022 7:45 AM in response to fix_move_to_ios_app

I could get the temporary network connection and some data transferred, but it never completed.

Here's what finally worked for me. I have an older Android so I decided to try installing an older version of Move to IOS to transfer just my messages. It worked perfectly the first time.

In my case, I have a Pixel 3a circa 2019, so used Move to IOS v3.1.1 from early 2020. There are online sites that host older versions of apps, you may have to override chrome telling you it can't validate the developer. I was getting rid of the phone so wasn't concerned about that.

Move To iOS app transfer error solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.