Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Series 7 watch consistently undercounts laps and distance while I swim.

Does walking outdoors for 20 minutes to recalibrate the Apple Watch Series 7 have any bearing on swim laps? It's what Apple Support recommended. My understanding is that the watch uses the accelerometer, the gyroscope, and the distance you put in for the pool length (which is correctly set to 25 yds) to calculate laps and distance. Over the course of 71 lengths, just over a mile, my watch counts 67 laps and 1670 yds.

I understand walking outdoors can help the accelerometer calculate stride length, but does that have any bearing on arm movement? I'm swimming only freestyle.

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 6:02 AM

Problem disappeared! First, I went for the 20-min walk Apple Support and some articles suggested. It helps calibrate the accelerometer to my movements.

The 2nd swim was off by only 3 lengths. The 3rd by one. The 4th and subsequent were correct, including a 5K (219 lengths).

I've not had a recurrence, so apparently it's "learned" me.

That said, I only swim freestyle. A friend who swims all four says that butterfly still throws his watch off.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 6:02 AM in response to Adm2Twa

Problem disappeared! First, I went for the 20-min walk Apple Support and some articles suggested. It helps calibrate the accelerometer to my movements.

The 2nd swim was off by only 3 lengths. The 3rd by one. The 4th and subsequent were correct, including a 5K (219 lengths).

I've not had a recurrence, so apparently it's "learned" me.

That said, I only swim freestyle. A friend who swims all four says that butterfly still throws his watch off.

Dec 10, 2021 9:59 PM in response to rtpftguy

Hi rtpftguy, I’m also facing a similar problem with my Watch 6 (I just bought it pre-owned a month ago). My settings & calibrations all look good plus my walks, runs & rides are accurately tracked. My pool swims are a mess though.

Firstly, laps are not tracked accurately. My watch gives me more though, like 29 laps when I only swam 20. And the stroke styles captured aren’t correct. But this is also a problem which Garmin watches. So far, no one in the forums has suggested/adviced anything that solved the problem. However, my recent 2 swims seem to be tracked more accurately. It’s only off by 2 laps…32 vs actual of 30 laps. Hopefully it’s because the watch is “learning” or “calibrating” itself from my earlier swims. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

Good luck with your Watch 7 & let’s keep each other posted on any changes or developments on this issue. Happy holidays 🎄

My Series 7 watch consistently undercounts laps and distance while I swim.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.