Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defining the X-axis data in a Numbers Chart

The absolute OS isn't the issue, as this problem existed in Big Sur and still in Monterey.

I have a Numbers spread sheet, 4 columns of information/data. I chose one column of data, select the chart type and it plots that data as the Y-Axis.

I can't seem to select a different column to add to the chart to use as the X-Axis data.

I can select the data, but Numbers keeps adding it to the Y-Axis messing up the data range and not providing the correct presentation.

i.e. - Measurement (Y) vs Date (X) is shown as Measurement (Y) AND Date (Y) with the X-axis undefined.

Why?

Is there some place I can right click or make a choice to change what data set is used for which axis?

So far I haven't found it.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 2:42 PM

Were it not for the fact I want a line chart, dots connected, this would have been it.

Thank you for at least guiding me to something approximating what I wanted.

I simply can't believe that the line charts are so limited that they won't display what is needed.

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 30, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Barry

I guess in all fairness this could be considered the correct answer.

I did finally figure it out, but it certainly isn't straight forward.

Select the column of data, then the line chart.

The X-Axis is undefined with ticks or a dot.

Go to the Axis section and click on the X-Axis button. Then in there you need to select the Category button which opens a small window with a number of "Undefined 1"; "Undefined 2"; ... ; "Undefined n" entries totaling the number of data points.

You then need to double click that window to open it up, select all. Then go back to your table and select the column for the data for the X-Axis.

It is klugey, but it gets something sort of reasonable there. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you an easy way to actually make things more viewable.

As in making the date appear different than what it shows in the table. I could change the format there, but what if I didn't for other reason.

Apple just needs to clean this up some.

Nov 30, 2021 3:41 PM in response to rickkp

Hi Rick,

The Line chart is a Category chart. More on that below.

The chart in my example is an X-Y scatter chart, which charts pairs of x-y values as data points.

I left it in pretty basic form due to some time pressure.

You can make that chart connect the dots with either lines or curves by changing the setting in the Format Inspector.

Here's an update on the same chart and same data as shown above. I've enabled the axis labels and Title, but haven't assigned values to those labels as yet.

A note regarding Category vs X-Y charts:

The horizontal axis* in a category chart displays labels naming each category. These labels must be in a Header Column to be applied automatically.

* vertical axis and 'Header Row' for a horizontal Bar Chart.

X-Y charts, like the X-Y scatter chart above, display numbers or quasi-numerical values (eg. dates) on both axes. These values must be in a body (ie. non-header) row or column to be used to create the evenly spaced values in the same format on the rlated axis.

If you've not done so to date, I'd suggest you look for the Charting Basics template in the Template Chooser, then use it as a tutorial to try out and learn the differences between the chart types.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 30, 2021 2:25 PM in response to rickkp

Click on the table that is to supply data to the chart to select it and display the column and row reference tabs.

If necessary, move the column containing the X values to the left of the column containing the Y values.

Select the X values column by clicking it's column reference tab, then press command and click the reference tab of the column holding the Y values.

With both columns selected, click the Table button inthe tool bar to open the Charts menu.

All charts on this menu except the two in the bottom row are Category charts, and treat the horizontal axis as a Category axis, with each category 'named' given the same amount of space on that axis, and placed in the order, from top to bottom of the column they come from.

The bottom row contains an X-Y scatter chart that charts X values against Y values (and in the bubble chart case, against Z values (which determine the size of each bubble).

The Chart chosen below is an X-Y scatter chart.

Two suggestions I would make for this specific chart would be to set the MAX Y value to be displayed to 20, and increaase the number of steps in the X axis to 'clean up the values displayed along each axis. This change is made in the Format Inspector, which shows in the right sidebar when you are editing a chart.

Regards,

Barry

Defining the X-axis data in a Numbers Chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.