Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers charts

I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart in Numbers. The directions published everywhere seem simple but don't work for me. I have also seen posts which have the same problem I have but no solution.

I select two different data columns command clicking on the column letter name, I insert a 2D scatter chart, and get a straight line of dots. The data from one column only is used on both axis. I go to the formatting sidebar and try to change one of the axis. Either nothing changes or the other axis changes to agree. Always a straight line. What am I missing?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 7:04 PM

Unlike the other charts, the scatter chart requires the X axis data to be in "regular" cells, not in a header column or header row. It sounds like your X data is in the header column and, as such, it is being ignored. When there is no X data it plots Y vs Y, which will be a straight line.

It is probably easiest to start over on the chart. In your table, move your data rightward one column so X and Y are both in "regular" cells or, alternatively, leave them where they are, go to the Table tab in the sidebar and set the number of header columns to zero. Now make the chart.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 7:04 PM in response to thermo2

Unlike the other charts, the scatter chart requires the X axis data to be in "regular" cells, not in a header column or header row. It sounds like your X data is in the header column and, as such, it is being ignored. When there is no X data it plots Y vs Y, which will be a straight line.

It is probably easiest to start over on the chart. In your table, move your data rightward one column so X and Y are both in "regular" cells or, alternatively, leave them where they are, go to the Table tab in the sidebar and set the number of header columns to zero. Now make the chart.

numbers charts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.