Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer photos from Photos without originals

We can't transfert/export photos from Photos because we don't have the originals. What can we do to get them back if we don't have those originals anymore ??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:47 PM

If you are using a managed library, the originals are safe in the library.

If you are using a referenced library, and deleted the originals, there is not much you can do.

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you have a time machine backup you might be able to find the originals.

If you are using iCloud, they are in iCloud and you may need some patience to get them.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 6:47 PM in response to lisette163

If you are using a managed library, the originals are safe in the library.

If you are using a referenced library, and deleted the originals, there is not much you can do.

Change where your files are stored in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you have a time machine backup you might be able to find the originals.

If you are using iCloud, they are in iCloud and you may need some patience to get them.

Dec 1, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thank you. It seems that we use a referenced library, though I am not sure I understand very well the difference (?). I went into Time machine and copied my oldest Photolibrary. Still, it seems that I don't have the originals. I really don't know where are those originals. I understand that my photos are sequestrated in my Mac and I can't use them at all. Very very disappointed. Won't use that Library anymore !

Can't transfer photos from Photos without originals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.