Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect information about free space on internal Macintosh HD

I have an iMac 2020 with a MacOS Monterey and a 1TB SSD internal HD Drive. My problem is that the Mac show me bad information about free disk space.

I have 4 folders on Macintosh HD:

Application 43,58 GB

Library 7,71 GB

System 27,44 GB

Users 316,83 GB

Total about 373 GB

The computer show me about 215 GB free space.

Where is the 400 GB of free space?

I found the Volumes folder in the System folder, and there is, among others, a Macintosh HD file that shows me 783,46 GB. However, the System folder (parent folder) show me only 15 GB.

Someone will advise me please?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:09 AM

Thanks for your interest to help me.

I see. But this is not my primary problem either. My main problem is that I have a 1TB disk – 40 GB installed applications and 308 GB user data. And the disk shows me only 214 GB of free space! Where is the 400 GB of free space?

I think that the problem occurred when I started the backup via TimeMachine to an external drive.

When I tried to run First Aid in DiskUtility on the Macintosh HD - Data part, it took a long time that Mac to verify all the snapshots with the names of the all Time Machine backups (see picture). I think there are some working files left from the backups somewhere. But why? Or something else?

Simon

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 8:09 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your interest to help me.

I see. But this is not my primary problem either. My main problem is that I have a 1TB disk – 40 GB installed applications and 308 GB user data. And the disk shows me only 214 GB of free space! Where is the 400 GB of free space?

I think that the problem occurred when I started the backup via TimeMachine to an external drive.

When I tried to run First Aid in DiskUtility on the Macintosh HD - Data part, it took a long time that Mac to verify all the snapshots with the names of the all Time Machine backups (see picture). I think there are some working files left from the backups somewhere. But why? Or something else?

Simon

Dec 1, 2021 4:14 PM in response to simbla

There are a lot of local Time Machine snapshots. That could be taking up space. Time Machine will make local snapshots if there isn't a backup drive connected. Local Snapshots should be removed if space is needed. They will eventually be culled into a regular backup.

You can manually remove them use this command in Terminal:

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /

Dec 1, 2021 6:11 AM in response to simbla

The header you have selected in the disk list is a grouping of everything that makes up the Startup drive.

The OS takes up ~16GB.

The Data volume takes up most of the rest. There are a couple other hidden volumes, Preboot, VM, Recovery, Update which you see in your Finder list.

The Macintosh HD volume you see in Finder is a synthesis of the same things.

All of those under Volumes are synthesized mount points for the parts of the OS. The top-most folder, System, doesn't show what is in those mounted volumes as they are just mount points for the file system to access the data on the actual volumes.

Trying to make sense of the way Big Sur and later organize the parts of the OS is much like trying to read the output of the Console app. You will end up driving yourself crazy trying to make any sense of it.

Dec 1, 2021 4:55 PM in response to simbla

Modern macOS file systems are very complicated. The parent/child relationship you think you see is backwards, kind of. It is a challenge to even explain it. Files can exist on multiple places on the disk, but take up space only once. The operating system freely mixes up actual "free" storage with "used" storage that could be made "available" at some point, if the operating system (not you) decided that it needed it.

I can tell you that what you see in Disk Utility is correct. That is one of the few, relatively truthful displays. What it says for "available storage" is actually your free disk space. Anywhere else in the operating system that says "available" storage is simply a lie.

And yes, local snapshot can be a big part of that.

Incorrect information about free space on internal Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.