Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System and Other Folders using 115GB out of 121 GB Storage Space. Help!!

Hi

I am facing a serious issue with my MacBook Air. Most of the space is used by System and Other Folders. like 11 GB & 104 GB. I have moved pretty much all the files to an external hard drive and have the most used applications installed like Pages and Numbers. even deleted unused apps like iMovie etc. I need 16GB to download the latest OS itself. How do I create more space ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 7:41 AM

Manage Storage

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.Manage Storage

GrandPerspective 

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 7:41 AM in response to chefsaichand

Manage Storage

GrandPerspective 

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.Manage Storage

GrandPerspective 

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

System and Other Folders using 115GB out of 121 GB Storage Space. Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.