Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with dimensions/sizing clarifications

Hello!

I'm at my wits end on this- when I used the FCP trial I got the dimensions correct so that when I import footage that is filmed on a camera (vertically) it can specifically be viewed on mobile. The footage imports horizontally, and all I did before was either use the transform function on each clip (or selected multiple clips on the viewer to the right and rotated 90º, then resized the clip so it fit the screen using the scale (all) function to 56% of the original video). Now when I try that and export my video, I have black bars on each side that I cannot get rid of.

I have tried duplicating the project and setting it to vertical, but that results in the video footage itself being very tiny. (even when I set the scale back to 100%). I've tried using smart conform, that doesn't work for me, it cuts everything off.

I've listened to Youtube videos, read about dimensions, and I'm so confused. I see that most of my clips are 1440 x 1080 when I clicked on the 'i' in the viewer (apart from one photo in the video that's 1284 x 2778). I also double checked that my project dimensions were the same, 1440 x 1080. I would really appreciate some help in knowing:

1. How can I set the right dimensions for mobile without having to export a horizontal video (that results in black bars?)
  2. The difference between dimensions for zooming in/out on a video (which I assume that's what the scale does) vs. actually exporting in the right dimensions so the full video plays on mobile?

Thank you so much!

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 9:45 PM

Omg, I found the answer. Just to summarize it in case anyone else has this problem:

Issue: I filmed a video vertically using my camera (meaning, I turned it sideways to film) so that I could create footage specifically for viewing on mobile. When you import it into FCP, the video by default is turned horizontally, and even when you rotate it 90º, the sizing doesn't fit the screen, and scaling it up/down results in zooming in/out of the video, it doesn't make it fit the screen, and black bars still appear on each side upon export. The video needs to fit the screen as I edit, but also export in vertical mode.

Solution: When creating the project, make sure to set it to vertical (and specify the right resolutions)(can also modify an existing project to be vertical). Import your videos, turn 90º, then in the video inspector under spatial conform, click the type drop down to show 'fill' instead of 'fit'. This way I can still have the video fit the screen, but simultaneously zoom in/out as need be in the video. This is what helped me: https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/15/final-cut-friday-vertical-videos-instagram-stories-fcp-x/

Idk why it was so confusing to me, thank you both for your responses, I appreciate being able to ask the community! Cheers

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 9:45 PM in response to RdfppF

Omg, I found the answer. Just to summarize it in case anyone else has this problem:

Issue: I filmed a video vertically using my camera (meaning, I turned it sideways to film) so that I could create footage specifically for viewing on mobile. When you import it into FCP, the video by default is turned horizontally, and even when you rotate it 90º, the sizing doesn't fit the screen, and scaling it up/down results in zooming in/out of the video, it doesn't make it fit the screen, and black bars still appear on each side upon export. The video needs to fit the screen as I edit, but also export in vertical mode.

Solution: When creating the project, make sure to set it to vertical (and specify the right resolutions)(can also modify an existing project to be vertical). Import your videos, turn 90º, then in the video inspector under spatial conform, click the type drop down to show 'fill' instead of 'fit'. This way I can still have the video fit the screen, but simultaneously zoom in/out as need be in the video. This is what helped me: https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/15/final-cut-friday-vertical-videos-instagram-stories-fcp-x/

Idk why it was so confusing to me, thank you both for your responses, I appreciate being able to ask the community! Cheers

Dec 1, 2021 10:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hey, Luis,

The dimensions of the project are 1440 x 1080; it's the same for all of the clips, save for one photo in the project timeline that is 1284 x 2778, that's a screenshot from my phone that I imported into the timeline. I also tried creating a new project, added one of the clips into that project, made sure the dimensions of the project and clip were the same and when I exported it was perfect without any black bars on the side. But that didn't work for this project, I have no idea what is going on.

As requested, here are the screenshots:

Project:

Clips (they're all the same):

Dec 1, 2021 1:46 AM in response to RdfppF

What are the dimensions of your project? Press Command-J and show us a screenshot of the project inspector.

What are the dimensions of the clips?

One other thing: by default, in FCP the viewer background is black, and it makes it harder to see if your clips are filling the frame or not. To help with this, go to Preferences->Playback and change the background to white or checkerboard.

Dec 1, 2021 11:34 AM in response to RdfppF

You say you want to make a vertical video, but your project is NOT vertical: it is 1440x1080.

If you want it to be vertical then it must be taller than it is wide.

I am guessing that you would want your project to be 1080x1440 instead.

Press Command-J, click Modify and adjust the dimensions. Then adjust the size and rotation of the clips as needed.

<rant> why, oh why do people so much make vertical videos... our two eyes are horizontal, and so is every tv</rant>

Dec 1, 2021 3:16 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hey, Luis,

<rebuttal> I don't want to be rude, I appreciate your help, but I did say that I was making this video explicitly for mobile, so I have no choice but to make it vertical. I am also aware that 1440x1080 is horizontal, perhaps I didn't explain it well enough, but I did say that I tested exporting using a clip of the same measurements, yet it still exported vertically without black bars. So it seems there is another issue that has yet to be discovered.

If you don't know, that's totally fine! There's a reason this is a forum, so we can all learn. Thanks for your help :) </rebuttal>

Help with dimensions/sizing clarifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.