Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a 720 x 1280, 30 fps vertical project look so much slimmer in FCP than in Motion 5?

I have been using FCP to edit down videos that will end up as "Shorts/Reels/TikToks" for social media. I watched a tutorial that showed me to locate the original 1920 x 1080 project in FCP, then right-click on it > Select: Duplicate Project As... and when the settings box opens, simply select Vertical in the Video dropdown.

This does a little rendering, but then... out pops a project that is perfectly in this "Social Media" format. I've done this many times now.

But... today, I wanted to create a little "Title" sequence in Motion that I can import into FCP to use for these videos. In Final Cut Pro, if I go to one of these "Vertical" projects, and view the project settings, I see that they are all 720 x 1280 30 fps.

So... I open Motion, and create a new: Project/Title/Generator, giving it those same dimensions, 720 x 1280, 30 fps. But when the project opens in Motion, it looks like completely different dimensions. In FCP, 720 x 1280 looks like the dimensions of an iPhone. But in Motion it looks much wider. I must be missing something very obvious.

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 1:06 PM

When you create the custom vertical project make sure you set the pixel aspect ratio to Square.

Similar questions

3 replies

Why does a 720 x 1280, 30 fps vertical project look so much slimmer in FCP than in Motion 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.