You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does external disc have 2 volumes?

I was setting up an external SSD for my son who has a new 20202 MacBook Pro with Big Sur. I used Disk Utility to "erase" the drive, selecting APFS and GUID Partition. Now when I eject it from Finder I get the following:

What's the deal? If I were to format a drive this way on my High Sierra Mac, then use it on his mac, would that work? Would it only have one volume? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 7:19 AM

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

Just to add... I'm trying to figure out if this is a Big Sur thing or not. On my High Sierra MBP, erasing (formatting) an external SSD shows up as a single volume. If I try to eject it, it doesn't indicate more than one volume. When I did this on my son's new 2020 MBP, it shows up as 2 volumes.

I just realized something. I used this external to clone from the internal HD. Now I'm wondering if using Carbon Copy Cloner may have changed the formatting to accommodate the Big Sur internal HD...

Your old macOS High Sierra is not the new macOS.

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

This continues today with Big Sur adding a Signed/Sealed System Volume— as well as Monterey.

I would just click to Eject All. This is not an issue.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 7:19 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

Just to add... I'm trying to figure out if this is a Big Sur thing or not. On my High Sierra MBP, erasing (formatting) an external SSD shows up as a single volume. If I try to eject it, it doesn't indicate more than one volume. When I did this on my son's new 2020 MBP, it shows up as 2 volumes.

I just realized something. I used this external to clone from the internal HD. Now I'm wondering if using Carbon Copy Cloner may have changed the formatting to accommodate the Big Sur internal HD...

This continues today with Big Sur adding a Signed/Sealed System Volume— as well as Monterey.

Dec 1, 2021 1:53 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f5434705-14a7-44c0-8b13-1e9bdb2cd43a

This should only occur if macOS is installed on the external SSD. Otherwise, there should be no reason to have two volumes on the external SSD by default.

Dec 1, 2021 7:13 AM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Why does external disc have 2 volumes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.