Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Show toolbar" in Finder always greyed out

Hi

I have been looking for a solution on this and cant seem to find how to show toolbar.

The command cd+opt+T doesnt do anything.

Restarted and nothing changed.

And the sidebar is always in hide mode.

I just dont understand how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Air M1 12.0.1 Monterey

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:54 AM

saicho wrote:

I am really baffled by your answer. Why do you assume that the finder is not open?
I am obviously trying to locate something like a document or music or whatever and for that i open finder.

What is weird and random is that on some occasions the toolbar at the top is visible.

It just doesn't make sense..

—Try simply relaunching the Finder window on the fly,

>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

—If it is a corrupt plist try deleting it and relaunching or reboot to test

delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

If no insight or resolve

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus— all known to cause issues on the macOS

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 8:54 AM in response to saicho

saicho wrote:

I am really baffled by your answer. Why do you assume that the finder is not open?
I am obviously trying to locate something like a document or music or whatever and for that i open finder.

What is weird and random is that on some occasions the toolbar at the top is visible.

It just doesn't make sense..

—Try simply relaunching the Finder window on the fly,

>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

—If it is a corrupt plist try deleting it and relaunching or reboot to test

delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

If no insight or resolve

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus— all known to cause issues on the macOS

Dec 1, 2021 9:08 AM in response to VikingOSX

Here is some more info.

I open a tab, lets say documents or music, then i go to view>show toolbar is greyed out.

Then is choose customise toolbar, the toolbar appears plus the menu with all the drag and drop icons. I click "done" the toolbar now is visible.

But then if i go back to view>hide toolbar is greyed out.

And if i open another tab the toolbar is obviously not there.

Dec 1, 2021 9:48 AM in response to saicho

Another peculiarity is now that i have the toolbar back i wanted to show tabs so i turned them on from view>show tab bar.

Then when i opened a new tab (+) the toolbar disappeared.

Then i force quit and relaunch and toolbar returns.

This finder thing has given me headaches from the day one.

Why the inconsistency?....

Dec 1, 2021 9:55 AM in response to saicho

saicho wrote:

Another peculiarity is now that i have the toolbar back i wanted to show tabs so i turned them on from view>show tab bar.
Then when i opened a new tab (+) the toolbar disappeared.
Then i force quit and relaunch and toolbar returns.

This finder thing has given me headaches from the day one.
Why the inconsistency?....

See the post above, I presented a path forward to resolving your Finder issues.

"Show toolbar" in Finder always greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.