Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting old 32 bit to 64 bit Monterey OS won't export in photos

I just found out my old movies can't be exported from photos due to them being 32-bit and not 64-bit. I need a program that will work on my .mov files. Any suggestions and as you can tell I am a novice.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 11:26 AM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2021 6:27 PM in response to Becky9139

It's a bit complicated (there are container formats as well as different encoding schemes). I suggest downloading handbrake. Ideally, you will be able to use it to convert your video files to a standard format such as MP4.

If you are able to open the file in QuickTime, you can use the movie inspector tool to show information about the file (see example below).

- Pie Lover

Dec 1, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Becky9139

Photos are just files and as such have no 32 bit or 64 bit architectural aspect. In Monterey you need a 64 bit app to be able to run it, but the built in Photos app is just that. Likewise exportation has no bit architecture requirement.

What exactly, in detail, are you attempting to do and what app or apps are you using?

Dec 2, 2021 4:50 PM in response to ku4hx

I tried to download some old videos and I get errors. If I export as a video and I get the error unknown (0). If I try to export as unmodified, it downloads as a .mov but then I get an error that it couldn't be opened, the file is not compatible with QuickTime Player. If I try to open the file with VLC, I get macOS cannot verify the developer of “clip-2011-05-30 13;43;17_768C6E17.MOV”. Are you sure you want to open it? and then I get sound only. If I try to use appletv to view it, I get the sound and no video and then in the appletv app, it plays the video but no sound. If I drop the file into vlc, it reduces the file size from 305.9 MB to 27.3 MB as a .m4v file but no sound. I would like to be able to convert them all and put them in shared folders so my relatives can get copies of the videos from all of our family vacations. I am not good at just picking out something from the app store. The advisor said the problem is that the movies are in 32 bit and need to be converted to 64 so that it will play in quicktime (Monterey version). I don't remember receiving any information from Apple that being updating from the last OS, all movies needed to be converted. I have tried iMovie now and it doesn't help me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Converting old 32 bit to 64 bit Monterey OS won't export in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.