Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add music to iTunes despite best efforts

Hi folks;

I should say at this outset that before posing this question, I've read a lot of the topics on this subject already. I can't add music to iTunes. Any attempt to add music to iTunes ends up with it in a folder titled "Not Added" as a subfolder to the Automatically Add Music to iTunes.

Relevant info...

I'm running a Windows PC, with 32Gb RAM and Windows 10. This is the same PC and system that I've previously used and I've never experienced this issue. I have added no new software or equipment to the PC.

I'm running version 12.12.2.2 of iTunes, and the Check for Updates button tells me that this is the latest version, as of three minutes ago anyway.

I have logged into my account, and out. I have re-booted the PC, cleared caches, and run both virus and malware scans with no results. Running iTunes diagnostics tells me that there are no problems with iTunes.

I have tried right clicking on tunes - which are all in MP3 format - and tried "Open With..." and selected the iTunes player, and the music will not play. However, it WILL play in Windows Media Player. I have checked that the music is organised into the correct folder (the same folder I've been using for ages).

I've done all of this, and still cannot add music to iTunes. iTunes will sync with the iPod without any issues, and again, the diagnostic within iTunes tell me that there are no problems there.

If anyone has any solutions, I'd love to hear from you.

Many Thanks!

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:48 PM

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Have you tried these steps:

If you have problems playing music in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

and the 'Set custom import settings using MP3 Encoder' section in:

Choose import settings in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 1, 2021 6:54 PM in response to TheBbMan

What version of iTunes do you have? Have you updated iTunes recently? Did you install iTunes from the Microsoft Store or from the Apple website? Versions of iTunes from the Microsoft Store update automatically when new versions are released.

Although I am hesitant to suggest it, you might try uninstalling iTunes and then re-install using the other method. For moire info, see the 'On your PC' section in:

Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support

(They may, in fact, be different versions.)

And just for completness, I'm sure you authorized your computer for iTunes. Correct?

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2021 8:34 PM in response to javaliga

Hi Javaliga;

My thanks for the reply. I have version 12.12.2.2 of iTunes, and updated it to the latest version quite recently. It was installed from the Microsoft Store, but quite some time ago, and had been running well without difficulty up to this point.

I'll have a look at that update section, but in answer to your question Yes, the computer is authorised for iTunes, and has been for some time.

Cheers.

Dec 2, 2021 5:03 PM in response to javaliga

Hi again Javaliga;

No need to apologise...

I've tried changing the import settings as you suggested. Signed out, restarted everything, and when I try to add music, I get the same result - it ends up in a "Not Added" folder. Tried changing it all back, rebooted, etc... still no luck.

It's puzzling me, because up to a couple of weeks ago, I'd never had a problem.

Dec 2, 2021 9:25 PM in response to TheBbMan

Hi all;

Just some additional things I've tried...

I've changed the import settings as mentioned to no avail. I've also tried going in to the Properties of each music file, and where it says "This file may be blocked to protect your computer" I've clicked to Unblock it. No good.

I've also tried importing the folder with the music in it directly into iTunes through the File > Add Folder to Library option. iTunes brought up a dialog that indicated that the music was being imported, but the songs don't appear in the Library!

Even just double-clicking on the songs with iTunes open won't play them, yet they will play well enough in the generic Windows Media Player.

I'm open to suggestions...

Cannot add music to iTunes despite best efforts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.