Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting old backups on Time Machine

I have years of backups and really do not need them anymore. My 8TB HD is about full so how do you delete a collection of old backups to get back space on the 8TB HD?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 7:27 AM

CPW wrote:

I have the same question which I don't think you answered. I have backups going back several years and don't need them oldest ones, so I'd like to delete the oldest ones to free up space. But I don't think this will because a given backup is dependent to some extent on earlier backups. Is this correct? I think Time Machine is much less useful than it could be for this reason. My experience is I let TM does its thing until eventually the drive fails. I'm running two TM disks now to try and avoid that.

To be blunt - I was not replying to you but to the Owner of the original question.

If one what's to muck around on the existing Time Machine Backup Drive by manually deleting backups - be prepared for the consequences. The being, the loss of everything. The index TM Backup Utility gets modified or corrupted and presto - all is gone and there is no recovery period.

Follow the good advise by previous posting and save oneself the grief.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 7:27 AM in response to CPW

CPW wrote:

I have the same question which I don't think you answered. I have backups going back several years and don't need them oldest ones, so I'd like to delete the oldest ones to free up space. But I don't think this will because a given backup is dependent to some extent on earlier backups. Is this correct? I think Time Machine is much less useful than it could be for this reason. My experience is I let TM does its thing until eventually the drive fails. I'm running two TM disks now to try and avoid that.

To be blunt - I was not replying to you but to the Owner of the original question.

If one what's to muck around on the existing Time Machine Backup Drive by manually deleting backups - be prepared for the consequences. The being, the loss of everything. The index TM Backup Utility gets modified or corrupted and presto - all is gone and there is no recovery period.

Follow the good advise by previous posting and save oneself the grief.

Dec 16, 2021 6:41 PM in response to PRP_53

Deleting old backups on Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.