Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't have permissions to change the macintosh HD drive. It says I am read only.

I am trying to put a folder in the Macintosh HD drive but it won't let me change the permissions to do so. I am the only user on my account. I am trying to create a folder for Avid MediaFiles there in order to use Avid.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 2:58 PM

Macintosh HD drive in modern MacOS has only System Files/Folders, and only the invariant portion of MacOS lives there.

It is locked up tight and is a read-only Volume. You can not store any of your files there.

A second Volume, named Macintosh HD Data has your files. The top-level this drive is Also read-only. Your files are located in the /Users folder, in a folder with your username.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 2:58 PM in response to maonf

Macintosh HD drive in modern MacOS has only System Files/Folders, and only the invariant portion of MacOS lives there.

It is locked up tight and is a read-only Volume. You can not store any of your files there.

A second Volume, named Macintosh HD Data has your files. The top-level this drive is Also read-only. Your files are located in the /Users folder, in a folder with your username.

I don't have permissions to change the macintosh HD drive. It says I am read only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.