Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help me to back up my phone

backed up via iTunes and afterwards of course deleted all the data from the phone. Now trying to back up the new phone, but iTunes asking for a password for back uping, and any of my passwords match required.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 1:51 PM

Alelot wrote:

Now trying to back up the new phone

This makes no sense, as a new phone has absolutely no data, and therefore would yield a worthless backup. So presumably what you mean is you’re trying to restore the old backup to the new iPhone.

In that case, since you’re being asked for a password, you must have encrypted your iTunes backup. Therefore, the article linked above your post applies.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 1:51 PM in response to Alelot

Alelot wrote:

Now trying to back up the new phone

This makes no sense, as a new phone has absolutely no data, and therefore would yield a worthless backup. So presumably what you mean is you’re trying to restore the old backup to the new iPhone.

In that case, since you’re being asked for a password, you must have encrypted your iTunes backup. Therefore, the article linked above your post applies.

Dec 2, 2021 2:01 PM in response to sberman

Okay, you are right about restoring. Got me on wrong word choice. Still in my case, as you wrote that link above applies the box for setting encrypt local back up for setting up the password isn't available to choose. So what next? I got my back up and it is encrypted... Maybe some kind of apple care or something?

Dec 2, 2021 2:13 PM in response to Alelot

Alelot wrote:

the box for setting encrypt local back up for setting up the password isn't available to choose.

Naturally at this time, you cannot choose whether to encrypt your backup, as the backup had already been performed. You made that choice back when you created the backup!

So now you’re attempting to restore a previously encrypted backup, and its password is required.

help me to back up my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.