Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes crash windows 10

iTunes crashes moments after selecting my device (iPhone X) in iTunes. I can't do a back-up to my computer, let alone add content from iTunes to my phone.

Have had this problem for a few years, and despite changing phone and computer, the problem persists. Have also tried installing older versions of iTunes, without success.

I'm wondering if there's some anomaly with my library, but haven't ever read that this could be an issue.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Michael

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 4:18 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Dec 8, 2021 2:43 PM in response to barberlives123

Nothing seems to make any difference whatsoever. I'm unclear on the steps you're suggesting I follow, for the library. Just to be clear, is the process as follows?

1. Copy iTunes folder to another location
  2. Delete iTunes, including all the components as detailed here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275
  3. Restart PC
  4. Install latest version of iTunes from Windows store
  5. Hold down the Shift key while opening iTunes.
  6. When I see a message that asks me to Choose iTunes Library, click Choose Library
  7. Choose the location where I copied my iTunes folder.
  8. Choose the iTunes Library.itl file inside. 
  9. Click Open

I did all this, and it still crashes.

I did it with itunes 12.12, and it still crashes.

Dec 3, 2021 1:17 PM in response to jofrompreston

Hello jofrompreston! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that iTunes becomes unresponsive or closes unexpectedly when you select your iPhone X. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

If you uninstall iTunes with the steps outlined in the following article, and reinstall, does that have any effect on the issue? 

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

If the issue persists, let’s check if your iTunes library may be causing this issue, you can find the iTunes Media folder using the steps outlined in the following resource, under "Find the iTunes Media folder": Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC

Once located, move that folder to a temporary location and create a new folder for your iTunes library. Does the issue persist? 

Make it a great day!

Dec 12, 2021 5:37 AM in response to jofrompreston

Great. Go back to your original user profile. See Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support. Rename the existing Backup folder as Backup (Old), then launch iTunes and connect your device. This should force iTunes to create an entirely new backup set for the device rather than trying to update the old one, which seems to be causing the issue.

tt2

Dec 7, 2021 2:59 PM in response to mingoslkd

Hi mingoslkd, I just had a chance to do all this. The issue has presisted after I followed these steps: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later iTunes still crashes within 20 seconds of selecting my device.

I have "backed up" (copied) the iTunes Media folder to another spot. At this stage should I delete the original iTunes Media folder in my Music folder? How does it help if I just end up using all the same media anyway?

And should I use the latest version of iTunes, or perhaps go back to 12.11 as many users seem to recommend? Because the latest one is still so buggy.

thanks,

Mike

Dec 8, 2021 9:40 AM in response to jofrompreston

Hello jofrompreston! 

That's a good question. When you move your iTunes Media Folder to another location - such as the desktop - create a temporary folder with the same folder name in the location it was moved from. By moving the original folder to the desktop, you remove it from the path that the iTunes app is using to locate this folder. Also, by creating a new, empty folder in that path with the same name, iTunes will use that new folder as if it were the old one. This will help us determine if there's something wrong with the original iTunes Media folder that's causing the issue.

If the issue persists, what happens if you try using version 12.1.1? Does the app still close unexpectedly?

Cheers!

Dec 8, 2021 3:09 PM in response to jofrompreston

Hello jofrompreston! 

That’s close! Instead, let’s try these steps: 

1. Hold down the shift key while opening iTunes, then select “Create new library…” 

2. Name the new library “Test”

Let us know if iTunes continues to crash while using the new library folder. 

Once this is finished, you can switch back to your original library. 

We look forward to your response! 

Dec 10, 2021 1:01 PM in response to jofrompreston

See something like https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-user-account-in-windows-4fac6fd5-74c0-9737-69b8-6e77e00422dc. Create a new local account you can use for testing, log into that account. See if you can connect your iPhone to iTunes and backup in that account. Either way switch back to your primary account after testing. If the test was successful we can discuss what steps might help to fix the issue in the main account.

tt2

Dec 12, 2021 3:33 PM in response to jofrompreston

OK, in which case perhaps something further up the AppData chain needs to be removed. You can try renaming the Apple/Apple Computer folder as Not Apple/Not Apple Computer to reset iTunes as it would be after a fresh install. If your library is on a non-standard path you would need to shift-start-iTunes to reconnect to the right library, and you'll also need to reset your preferences, such as those for Keep... and Copy...

tt2

itunes crash windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.