Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID login

On my old phone when I set it up I used the recovery password option with an old phone number that’s long gone, so can’t recover the password linked to it and therefor can’t reset the phone so my youngest can use it. Is there a way around this the phone will be registered as mine, it’s an old contract phone, can I take it in to an Apple shop and get help that way?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 6:58 AM

Your terminology is confusing. There's a "recovery" key, but that applies to Apple accounts, not devices. See this article about recovery keys --> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

If you cannot get access to an account that is set on an iPhone but you think you can prove to Apple's satisfaction that you are the iPhone owner, try using this service --> Activation Lock support request Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> https://support.apple.com/HT202711

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 6:58 AM in response to Emma_freckledmum

Your terminology is confusing. There's a "recovery" key, but that applies to Apple accounts, not devices. See this article about recovery keys --> How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

If you cannot get access to an account that is set on an iPhone but you think you can prove to Apple's satisfaction that you are the iPhone owner, try using this service --> Activation Lock support request Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> https://support.apple.com/HT202711

Apple ID login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.