Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine is NOT a sparsebundle

Hello!

I recently had to format my time machine drive, using Big Sur, (quick recap, TM on a Drobo DAS volume that corrupted). Then, I made the decision to get am 18TB single DAS external and scrap the Drobo all together, using Monterey. When I went transfer the time machine file from the Drobo, there was none, only individual dated files that will not copy nor move. So, I started a new back-up on the new drive and it, too, is individual dated files, no sparsebundle.

Why is it doing this? I have not made any custom settings to time machine nor the drives. Attached a couple of screen shots for reference. I cannot move from the OLD time machine to the NEW, and I would like to be able to do this.

*NOTE: the OLD time machine was setup using BIG SUR, the NEW time machine on MONTEREY, same issue with both OS.

I think that is everything that matters. Thank you!

Mac Pro, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:51 AM

I suspect that the drives are formatted in APFS format:

Currently, when backing up to HFS+, Time Machine creates a folder within which is a replica of the file system of the volume being backed up. Files and folders which haven’t changed since the last backup are represented there by hard links: inspect the inode number of two corresponding ‘copies’ of a folder which hasn’t changed between backups, and you’ll see that they are one and the same, with identical inodes, just as regular file hard links are.

APFS doesn’t support directory hard links, so can’t use the same mechanism when storing Time Machine backups. Instead, what appears to function as a form of virtual file system is created using new features in APFS. The volume assigned the role of Backup appears to be a regular APFS volume, and is protected from normal access, even by root. File data is kept as usual in the container’s Physical Store, to which file data is copied during each backup. Apple hasn’t indicated whether this continues to be whole files, or whether only changed data are copied.

This is synthesised into what is presented by the Finder as the customary hierarchy of files and folders, just as with HFS+ backups. However, matching unchanged folders have different volume numbers, as if they were stored on separate mounted volumes. Their own inode numbers and attributes are identical, though.

Above from:

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/06/29/apfs-changes-in-big-sur-how-time-machine-backs-up-to-apfs-and-more/

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 9:51 AM in response to lisaroser

I suspect that the drives are formatted in APFS format:

Currently, when backing up to HFS+, Time Machine creates a folder within which is a replica of the file system of the volume being backed up. Files and folders which haven’t changed since the last backup are represented there by hard links: inspect the inode number of two corresponding ‘copies’ of a folder which hasn’t changed between backups, and you’ll see that they are one and the same, with identical inodes, just as regular file hard links are.

APFS doesn’t support directory hard links, so can’t use the same mechanism when storing Time Machine backups. Instead, what appears to function as a form of virtual file system is created using new features in APFS. The volume assigned the role of Backup appears to be a regular APFS volume, and is protected from normal access, even by root. File data is kept as usual in the container’s Physical Store, to which file data is copied during each backup. Apple hasn’t indicated whether this continues to be whole files, or whether only changed data are copied.

This is synthesised into what is presented by the Finder as the customary hierarchy of files and folders, just as with HFS+ backups. However, matching unchanged folders have different volume numbers, as if they were stored on separate mounted volumes. Their own inode numbers and attributes are identical, though.

Above from:

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/06/29/apfs-changes-in-big-sur-how-time-machine-backs-up-to-apfs-and-more/

Dec 4, 2021 7:12 AM in response to lllaass

@lllaass Copy that, so I think what I will do is use both disks, then? Funny, because the Drobo was using HFS+ before I had to scrap it and create a new Time Machine volume, it does all of that within the Drobo app. And the new Blackbox Pro disk was also pre-formatted. When I selected it as the backup disk, I did not get an error, which if it is not compatible, you will get an error.

OK, so I now have no idea what the new 'best practice' is for this. Should I use both, reformat one to HFS or what? I don't need it to share with my laptop, although, I was hoping to eventually have my main time machine drive sync of site. What do you suggest?

Thanks again!

Dec 4, 2021 7:48 AM in response to lisaroser

The backup scheme in Monterey for Time Machine is significantly different than in the past.

Time Machine now requires an APFS formatted drive as it leverages a feature of APFS called snapshots. Instead of entire files being backed up, a snapshot of only things that have changed is made. So, when restoring a file from a backup, Time Machine uses the snapshot feature to recreate the file. This process is much more space efficient.

So, the backups stored by Time Machine are not a traditional "filesystem" as it once was. As a matter of fact, hourly snapshots are made of the system drive on the drive itself as well when using Time Machine. Only a 24 hour period is maintained so as not to fill up the system drive. The other case, any macOS update will create a full snapshot of the system which allows faster restores. This too will disappear after twenty four hours releasing the space.

Dec 4, 2021 7:48 AM in response to lisaroser

You did a direct backup to an external drive. Sparsebundle disk images only occur with a network backup.

In Big Sur and later, a direct backup will be formatted APFS (Case-sensitive), and you will not have any other access to the drive.

You would need to partition the drive to handle multiple direct backups or other usage. It may be possible to use Volumes instead of a partition, but when I tried on Big Sur, it didn’t work as I thought.

Time Machine is NOT a sparsebundle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.