Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the upgrade to Monterey? For over a month I keep notifications to upgrade but the download for Monterey never completes. It stops at the same spot "about 53 minutes remaining" and never moves from there. This is the only OS install that has not worked. And don't give the malarkey of slow servers and using an ethernet cable. I've let it run overnight and nothing happens.

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 1:14 PM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 1:14 PM in response to mfj45

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Dec 3, 2021 1:03 PM in response to mfj45

mfj45 wrote:

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the upgrade to Monterey? For over a month I keep notifications to upgrade but the download for Monterey never completes. It stops at the same spot "about 53 minutes remaining" and never moves from there. This is the only OS install that has not worked. And don't give the malarkey of slow servers and using an ethernet cable. I've let it run overnight and nothing happens.

You can try directly from the CDN

Monterey— Download alternative direct from Apples CDN ( content delivery network)—12.13 GB pkg

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/39/60/002-23774-A_KNETE2LDIN/4ll6ahj3st7jhqfzzjt1bjp1nhwl4p4zx7/InstallAssistant.pkg

If you network download speed is suspect, get on a faster Network.

Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.