Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forget my encrypt iPhone backup password

I forget my password for the I phone backup

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 3:14 PM

Hello, maged258.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

As you know, the whole point of encryption is to make data unrecoverable without the encryption key. If you have forgotten or mislaid the password for encryption, then there is noting you can do to retrieve your data from those encrypted backups. It's gone. You'll have to live with the fact that the backup is unusable to you. You'll have to make a new backup and use a new encryption password that you write down and/or don't forget, or backup without encryption.

If you are using iOS 11 or later or iPadOS, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Follow the guidance in this support article:

About encrypted backups on your iPhone… - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 3:14 PM in response to maged258

Hello, maged258.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

As you know, the whole point of encryption is to make data unrecoverable without the encryption key. If you have forgotten or mislaid the password for encryption, then there is noting you can do to retrieve your data from those encrypted backups. It's gone. You'll have to live with the fact that the backup is unusable to you. You'll have to make a new backup and use a new encryption password that you write down and/or don't forget, or backup without encryption.

If you are using iOS 11 or later or iPadOS, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Follow the guidance in this support article:

About encrypted backups on your iPhone… - Apple Support

Forget my encrypt iPhone backup password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.