Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad spam email since iOS 15 install

Hello, I have been receiving a lot of spam e-mail lately.

It seem like it started right after the install of iOS and iPad os 15.

I use Apple mail app.

It is just like the spam filter reseted and would't restart.

Does anyone have this problem?

I keep on blocking senders, but their is a endless number of them!

Did Apple remove the spam filter in favor of "Hide my e-mail"

What can I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 7:48 AM

What a ridiculous answer. People have been doing this for years and it really doesn’t seem to help. There is a junk email folder that was doing a decent job in catching these emails before they get to our inbox. However after upgrade to 15.2, emails that should be caught around finding their way to my inbox. Judging from the me too’s above, there are a lot of us in the same boat. Somebody needs to find a fix for this. No more obvious, ridiculous replies please.

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 7:48 AM in response to jdo_apple

What a ridiculous answer. People have been doing this for years and it really doesn’t seem to help. There is a junk email folder that was doing a decent job in catching these emails before they get to our inbox. However after upgrade to 15.2, emails that should be caught around finding their way to my inbox. Judging from the me too’s above, there are a lot of us in the same boat. Somebody needs to find a fix for this. No more obvious, ridiculous replies please.

Dec 4, 2021 2:01 PM in response to irayspot

Hey there, irayspot!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you're getting a lot of spam emails and we can understand wanting to get those sorted out. We can help with that.

To start, it's unlikely that iOS 15 would have made spam messages more prolific on your device. However, we do want to recommend that you work through the steps here to make sure that your account is set up in the best way possible to avoid those types of junk messages. Here's how: Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Dec 4, 2021 4:56 PM in response to irayspot

irayspot,

If you're using iCloud then we'd recommend following the steps here: Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud. This will help make sure that iCloud understands what is junk and what you want to see so that going forward the filters are more effective. Based on your description, these messages could also be phishing attempts. You can learn more about that here: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams.

Hopefully this helps.

Dec 4, 2021 4:35 PM in response to irayspot

I don't know how it made, but the mail are not even sent TO me it is sent to this akilzachary385, the from Label is different in the list and the message. I dont' even know how to do this! I did not Click the unsubscribe button, since I did not subscribe and it is not a legit mail.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Jan 18, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Bpeterson111

Bpeterson111 wrote:

iPhones by default have NEVER, EVER had spam filtering. All spam filtering is done by your email provider, and if spam messages are suddenly getting through to your phone that is because your ISP’s spam filtering is not doing its job.

Jan 18, 2022 8:46 AM in response to Bpeterson111

A couple of months ago everyone was very sure that the iOS update they’d just done had “broken Facebook”. Turned out FB was having a worldwide outage and it was nothing to do with any OS update on any device. Blaming every problem on the last iOS update just hinders the search for solutions to problems. I’d bet my house that 90%+ of all the issues that are supposedly “caused by that last update I did” are nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Feb 8, 2022 2:00 PM in response to Enel2022

Enel2022 wrote:

I’ve had 70 spam today and every day since 15.3 update. Must be a bug, so unusual.

No, it’s not a bug. iOS has no spam filtering, and never has. It didn’t have any before 15.3, and doesn’t have any with 15.3. some spammer has just got your number, unfortunately. Is it text or email spam? And have you recently provided personal information to a new-to-you website or app?

Feb 24, 2022 3:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I updated my iPhone +2 version 15.3.1. I did this the day before yesterday. Yesterday morning I have over 500 brand new spam emails. At the most in a day I might get 20 or so. This is absolutely related to that update. Please, Apple, own this error and fix it. (While you’re at it, can you fix Siri? It doesn’t seem to understand words very well since I updated it.)

Mar 2, 2022 12:02 PM in response to KiltedTim

For me, after I upgraded iOS , the option to “block remote content” was gone, and remote images started to load. After a couple of spam emails got by me and loaded the image, I started getting a crapload of spam from an address “*@chinaemail.cn” . At least 20 to 30 find their way to me every night. Sure, Apple hides my location, but the fact that I acknowledge that I exist doesn’t stop them because I now load remote content. I can’t block the address as each email is sent from a different account from the domain name.

Mar 22, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

But the email still loads the images from the enemies servers. And that’s all they need to know that I exist, regardless that I live in Paris or Sydney or whatever apple is doing to spoof the location and tracking. As long as their web server gets a request to download the picture of a “Free iPhone”, they know that I opened the spam and that I’m alive. So therefore, they send more spam and they let their friends know I exist and they send spam too. A win win no matter where I live!

Mar 22, 2022 9:07 AM in response to ifrmusic

Don’t open spam email messages. I don’t get many spam email messages, maybe a few each year. I think that is because I am extremely picky about who I give my email address to and which email messages I open, I do not open email messages that I am not expecting to receive or don’t recognize the sender.. i move those email messages directly to the junk folder and wash my hands of the matter.

iPad spam email since iOS 15 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.