Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I created a new album in photos but it is not showing up in selected albums to sync

Macos 12.01

Ipad Air 12.5.5

When I created a new album in photos, then I plug in my ipad to add that new album to the ipad. But... when I click on the ipad on the side of the finder window, and select Photos. I do not see my new album as an option to check off. It's almost like the finder is not seeing the new album I made in Photos. So, I suspect the problem is on the mac OS side, or Photos side? but I'm not sure what to try next.

The album is NOT a smart album and I do not use iCloud for syncing.

So far I've tried:

Restarting computer, restarting ipad. Copy photos library to a different drive.

What else can I try?

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 10:39 AM

There is nothing to delete in the library without risking damage.

Just to check - the external drive isn’t case sensitive format is it?

You could create a new library - but the only way to transfer the albums is one at a time, by exporting the photos from each, and re-importing into the new library.

Another thing to check - is the library the system library? Check preferences - is the button “use as system phtotos library” greyed out. If not, click it.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Ethan Becker

There is nothing to delete in the library without risking damage.

Just to check - the external drive isn’t case sensitive format is it?

You could create a new library - but the only way to transfer the albums is one at a time, by exporting the photos from each, and re-importing into the new library.

Another thing to check - is the library the system library? Check preferences - is the button “use as system phtotos library” greyed out. If not, click it.

Dec 4, 2021 9:19 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

the library is on an external drive formatted as Mac Journaled

so I tried a brand new drive and formatted it as AFPS and copied the library onto it. Same results. This morning I copied the library to my internal drive.

no luck. I repaired the library (took forever). No luck.

I tried plugging in my iPhone instead the iPad…. When I select it on the left panel in the finder and then select photos, I see the albums in my library…. Just not any of the new albums.

it’s almost like I need to delete the file that tells the finder to read or update the list of albums in photos. It’s been hard to search for help online. The search word photos brings up unrelated photo issues.

the library in question is 124gb if that helps.

Dec 4, 2021 9:57 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tried restarting in safe mode. - iphone or ipad won't appear at all in side panel.

Tried creating a new user - iphone or ipad won't appear at all in side panel

When I was in the new user, booting normal, the ipad appeared again. And, when I select "photos" on the mac, I could see a different list of options. Basically nothing. it's a new user with blank photos library. When I quit photos, and relauched holding option, and selected the library on th external drive, then restarted. I could see the list of all the libraries (but not my new ones from this week).

I'm wondering, is there a way to create a new library? and import albums from the old one?

I did try repairing the library... so maybe it's the library file that is corrupt?

I wish I know which folder in the library or system has preference files to delete. I'd love to try that, but don't know which files to delete.

Dec 4, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Ethan Becker

Photos can only sync albums from the system photos library. Is your current Photos Library enabled as the System Photos Library, in the Photos > Preferences > General? The option "Use as System Photos Library" should bedimmed to show that the library is the system Photos Library. If the option is still active click it. Then restart Photos and try again to sync.

Dec 4, 2021 11:39 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Yes! Problem solved! This worked. Thank you.

Summary: When I launch Photos holding option, and select my desired library on the external drive. Once it opens, I open preferences and click on the button to make it my system library. Now when I plug in my phone or ipad, and select that ipad or iphone in on the left window plane in the finder, and it displays the information. I then select the photos tab, and it displays the CORRECT albums! Thank you so much!

I created a new album in photos but it is not showing up in selected albums to sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.