Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey on iMac and Mohave on an External SSD Drive

I want to put Mohave on an External SSD drive so I can keep my 32 bit accounting/invoicing software.

If I update my iMac Late 2015(17,1) to Monterey, will I still need to actually boot into the external SSD drive to access Mohave.

I thought I read somewhere it's possible to access other drives in Monterey without rebooting. Of course I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

Any input appreciated.

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 6:34 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 4, 2021 7:12 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Joe Gramm wrote:

Why do you need to boot into external drives. What is the reason they are not treated as any other file system.

That's what I was trying to explain previously. It doesn't matter where Mojave and Monterey are located. They could both be installed on the same drive. However, you can only run one OS at a time. As noted, you could create a Virtual Machine of Mojave which you would run like an application.

Dec 4, 2021 7:16 AM in response to lllaass

Quick research shows Virtual box to be interesting. Appears to be free for personal use.

So is this how it would work: Install Virtual Box on iMac. Install base Mohave OS/Install accounting App

Then how do I use the accounting. Do I simply open/log into Virtual Box and there it is..

If so, potential issue is my accounting app is licensed for 1 machine. I wonder if it would recognize Virtual Box as a second machine.

Monterey on iMac and Mohave on an External SSD Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.