Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac location services

the location services on my MacBook Pro 16 2021 doesn't work. it's not just find my Mac, all other services including date and time setting are affected by this too. tried formatting three times by the guidance of apple support counselors. tried turning on the safe mode and every other thing they recommended me. every setting is open, I have wifi connection, I don't use vpn but still the problem is continuing. do you have any other recommendations?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 9:32 AM

So what might be unusual about your Wi-Fi network and your ISP connection, and about how that might (not) be geolocated?

No Mac has GPS, so the location is inferred from your Wi-Fi network and your ISP connection.

Which implies there’s something weird with your Wi-Fi network.

Wi-Fi network location is assisted by local iPhone and iPad activity on the same Wi-Fi, as those devices have GPS and cellular positioning capabilities.

Any router-based VPN activity here? Multiple IP routers with double or triple NAT? Firewall blocks for connections to Apple? Some other “odd” network or ISP configuration?

As a test… Move your MacBook Pro to a different Wi-Fi network (library, coffee shop, restaurant, etc) and see if that geolocates correctly. That’ll rule out the Mac as the cause, if it geolocates ~nearby.

And a caution: IP-based geolocation is accurate within the country, sometimes region.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 9:32 AM in response to mermaid16

So what might be unusual about your Wi-Fi network and your ISP connection, and about how that might (not) be geolocated?

No Mac has GPS, so the location is inferred from your Wi-Fi network and your ISP connection.

Which implies there’s something weird with your Wi-Fi network.

Wi-Fi network location is assisted by local iPhone and iPad activity on the same Wi-Fi, as those devices have GPS and cellular positioning capabilities.

Any router-based VPN activity here? Multiple IP routers with double or triple NAT? Firewall blocks for connections to Apple? Some other “odd” network or ISP configuration?

As a test… Move your MacBook Pro to a different Wi-Fi network (library, coffee shop, restaurant, etc) and see if that geolocates correctly. That’ll rule out the Mac as the cause, if it geolocates ~nearby.

And a caution: IP-based geolocation is accurate within the country, sometimes region.

mac location services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.