Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support Displayport mst

Hi!

i have an MacBook Pro 2019 15 inch.

Modell: Macbookpro15,1

Does my MacBook support DisplayPort MST (Multi-Stream Transport) thrue one of the USB-C (thunderbolt 3) connections.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 4:34 PM

While I agree MST is a desired feature unless Apple picks up the slack for peripherals that are available from other manufacturers, the thunderbolts specification kinda sucks in this regard. Thunderbolt 3 and 4 leave things open to future innovation. MST is one of those things that is an extension on Thunderbolt 4 and not part of the base specification.

So no, Apple doesn’t have false advertising, but I spent over 4k on a max, and the fact that I can’t use some thunderbolt accessories or mst over my usb ports is frustrating.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 4:34 PM in response to MrNoooooo

While I agree MST is a desired feature unless Apple picks up the slack for peripherals that are available from other manufacturers, the thunderbolts specification kinda sucks in this regard. Thunderbolt 3 and 4 leave things open to future innovation. MST is one of those things that is an extension on Thunderbolt 4 and not part of the base specification.

So no, Apple doesn’t have false advertising, but I spent over 4k on a max, and the fact that I can’t use some thunderbolt accessories or mst over my usb ports is frustrating.

Feb 18, 2022 8:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There's no issue with increasing resolution. Windows running on the same Mac hardware works perfectly with daisy chained display port screens.

Most monitors and docs that contain USB-C hubs use MST to connect a second display - these simply do not work with any device running macOS. The only reason is that apple haven't cared to implement MST in their driver software.

If you want to be able to put down your MacBook, plug in a single cable and have all your screens working then you have to buy a separate hub with 2 display ports, and it has to be an expensive one which specifically does not use MST internally. (Try CalDigit)

Complain to Apple, but they are unlikely to listen but you should complain anyway.

Mar 15, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sure here is one example. You can find displayport listed under the technical specifications of almost every apple laptop and desktop.

MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications

"Three Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
  • USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)"

As well as "Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C"

MST is part of DisplayPort. You cant have DisplayPort without MST. So unless the laptops support MST, that line item for DisplayPort is factually incorrect.

Whats worse is the physical hardware does in fact support MST, you can load up bootcamp (on non-m1 machines), and MST functions correctly. This is entirely a software issue with OSX/MacOS.

Feb 18, 2022 11:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That is not a productive counter argument.

There is no need for aversion to a certain feature, only because some other OS supports it. We should strive to make any product the best it can be, and this being a software feature as pointed out by Mike, should be easy enough to implement.

Mac does infact not support any version of MST. Even thunderbolt monitors have to go 1 per port. (Atleast my research seems to point to this conclusion) and any docks that support multiple monitors, either take up multiple ports or rely on displaylink.

I can't think of a more Apple feature than 1 cable for *all* your connectivity needs, which is what a dock provides for many people.

Mar 15, 2022 10:07 AM in response to MrNoooooo

DisplayPort 1.2 is limited to 17.28 G bits/sec, the amount needed for ONE "4K" hi-color display "4k" at 75 Hz.

Supporting MST would mean only small displays could jam their data on to that shared link, before it was completely saturated.

Apple has made the technical decision NOT to support that feature. My speculation is that is because it has limited usefulness.

You are welcome to complain the them. Here is the link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 29, 2022 11:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

--> Then use Windows if that is the most important feature for you.

This isn't a Windows forum, it's an Apple forum. We're using is as technical point to show it is possible. Quit trying to turn that fact into something you drag.

Regardless I'm not looking to throw more money at something that clearly the hardware already supports.

Again, I think lots of people here are taking issue with "modest size" displays hand waiving off all support vs a dialogue guiding what is or isn't support.

Apr 29, 2022 2:49 PM in response to JeremyWorkAccount

Readers/Responder here are almost all other Users like you, NOT Apple employees, and they may temper what they say with their personal opinions. No one HERE speaks for Apple, Inc.

If you would like to speak to a technical representative, use this link:

Get Support

If you would like to relay your feelings about what features are or are not supported, use this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

May 8, 2022 6:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So if I understand this correctly,

Apple sells a MacBook Pro that has USB-C ports that support the Thunderbolt protocol (3 or 4, depending on MBP) and USB protocol (3 or 4).

Both of these protocols can incorporate the DisplayPort protocol.

These USB-C ports work correctly and support all of the standards that Apple claims that they do, including DisplayPort MST, HOWEVER, macOS does NOT support DisplayPort MST (at least not over the USB protocol).

This means that running Windows on the MacBook Pro computer does takes full advantage of the DisplayPort MST via USB protocol and the problem is not with the MacBook Pro or the USB-C ports, but rather with macOS and the software support for DisplayPort MST via USB protocol?

Is this Correct?

Can anyone verify that a dock using Thunderbolt protocol can support DisplayPort MST?

I believe the problem lies with many companies selling docks and stating that they a "USB-C" dock, but not clarifying which protocol they are using.

Ex. Anker 575 USB-C Docking Station (13-in-1)

https://us.anker.com/collections/hubs-and-docks/products/a8392?variant=37438617944214

They state that "macOS only supports Single-Stream Transport (SST) and doesn't support Multi-Stream Transport (MST)"

This dock appears to use the USB protocol, however it is not clearly stated.

CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock

CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock - Apple

They state that "Whether you need to connect dual 4K 60Hz monitors* or a single Thunderbolt 3 5K 60Hz monitor, the TS3 Plus offers next-level visual fidelity.

External dual display support requires a Mac with an Intel processor and Thunderbolt 3 ports.

*The TS3 Plus supports dual 4K displays from either the DisplayPort port (which requires an active adapter if converting to other video interfaces such as HDMI) or the Thunderbolt 3 port (compatible with USB-C video adapters such as HDMI, VGA, or DisplayPort)"

This is a Thunderbolt dock, however it only has one DisplayPort connection and the other display needs to use the USB-C port to connect the display.

Dec 4, 2021 11:32 AM in response to afrimfrommalmö

Macs have only ever supported MST to a genuine Thunderbolt Display as the first display. The second display can be whatever is supported by your first display..

Thunderbolt has two sets of data pathways to support more than one display -- DisplayPort has only one, so with the ever-increasing resolutions of displays, MST over DisplayPort is not of any practical value in the long run.

Support Displayport mst

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.