Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone photo album selections

Hello. Lately, for some reason, when I open "My Albums" on my iphone 8+, where I've selected to show "Your Photos Only," "Yours & Shared" come up; even though the selection is checked as "Your Photos Only". I have to deselect "your photos only" and reselect it to eliminate the shared ones from being included. I don't care to see the shared ones. I know which ones I've shared and have deleted them. So that's another thing: the deleted ones are included, which is how I noticed the situation to begin with. I realized I was deleting photos that I already had. Annoying. Something is obviously not right. What to do?

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 12:12 PM

8 replies

Dec 9, 2021 4:45 PM in response to hac66

hac66, 

We apologize for the confusion and want to be sure to clarify that question. You've indicated that when a photo is shared with you, you download it. We want to see if the photo is not recognizing that it has been saved already. To do that, please tap on one of those photos that has the bubble at the bottom left. Once you're viewing that photo, at the very bottom of that screen, between the Share button and the trash can does it say 'Save Shared Photo'? 

If it does, are you able to tap on that? 

You certainly can reach out to Apple on this situation and we may even get to a point of recommending that. Here's the link to reach out - Contact Apple Support.

Thanks. 

Dec 5, 2021 1:49 PM in response to AnnieL2

AnnieL2,

I'm not deleting albums. When I open the Photos app, and I select "My Albums", the pictures that show up default to include the photos that I have shared "Yours & Shared", instead of just the remaining photos which are "Your Photos Only." Actually, more precisely, I select My Albums RECENTS (I only have the one). This is how I explained the problem:

"when I open "My Albums" (recents) on my iphone 8+, where I've selected to show "Your Photos Only," "Yours & Shared" come up; even though the selection is checked as "Your Photos Only". I have to deselect "your photos only" and reselect it to eliminate the shared ones from being included."

I will attach a screen shot of menu i'm referring to. Hope this makes it more clear. A lot to describe

Dec 5, 2021 9:59 AM in response to hac66

Hi hac66, 

We understand that when you tap on the Albums tab you’re seeing a listing of your Albums plus albums that were shared with you. Additionally, albums you have deleted from your iPhone are still appearing in the Photos app. 

When deleting an album, are you also deleting the pictures that were in the album? If so, are they then appearing in the Recently Deleted album where they would remain for 30 days? 

From the Albums tab, there does not appear to be a way to break down what albums are seen. You’ll see your albums at the top, then shared albums and possibly then People & Places and some other Media Types. 

Thank you. 

Dec 6, 2021 4:14 PM in response to hac66

hac66, 

Understood, thank you for these additional details. To clarify, are the shared photos you’re seeing the ones with the Messages icon or comment bubble showing? Have you at any point saved these shared photos to your device? They aren’t saved automatically and once saved become part of ‘Your Photos’. You can double verify by tapping on the photo and seeing if you have an option to save it. 

Thank you. 

Dec 7, 2021 10:45 AM in response to AnnieL2

AnnieL2,

I'm not exactly sure of your question, but here's how I operate. I take phone photos. I download photos from other people who text them to me and I share many of all these photos via text and emails from my phone. After My Album Recents fills up a bit, I transfer for all of the photos to my desktop and delete them off of my phone. Lately, when I visit My Album Recents after more pix have been taken and more saved from others.... yes those pix that have been deleted off my phone, but have been shared show up in My Album Recents with a bubble in the corner. The menu photo that I shared shows "Your Photos Only, " but "Yours & Shared" pop up too...the ones with the bubble.

Oddly, currently, at this moment, only Your Photos Only are opening. The way they should. I'm not sure why this has changed, for the moment. I had turned the phone off and back on a few days back hoping the problem would disappear, but it did not. Now it seems to be opening to the default selection of Your Photos Only. If this continues, then the problem self corrected. Sheesh. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Thanks for taking the time to try to follow my wordy descriptions.

Dec 8, 2021 12:34 PM in response to hac66

oops...inadvertently put "solved" on this thread. Not solved.

"My Albums Recents" is back to defaulting to "Yours & Shared" even though "Yours Photos Only" is showing as selected.

Looking more closely, it seems the "shared" pix popping up are those people shared with me via text, and that I have saved to "my album recent"....but also have been deleted off my phone albums after.

I keep my texts for a year, so these shared photos may be coming from those old texts still on my phone

Dec 8, 2021 5:30 PM in response to hac66

not sure how to deselect "problem solved" on this thread, because it is not. Do I need to start a new thread.? Cuz it definitely seems like there should be an answer to the oddity and annoyance of the problem discussed in this thread. I guess I need to call Apple Support directly.

iphone photo album selections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.