Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error when copying files from MacBook Pro

I am at my wits end trying to transfer data from my old Mac to my new one. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro on os 10.9 and recently purchased a brand new 2021 MacBook. I was able to transfer applications and documents via migration assistant but I cannot retrieve my iBooks, music and photo libraries. It’s essentially the items in my user account. Even though I selected it in MA they didn’t copy. When transferring from old Mac to an external harddrive or usb drive, it starts copying and gets about halfway through then I get the error code 1309 and the copy won’t complete. I tried a direct connection via Ethernet and file sharing to the new Mac . When copying that way I get error code 8084 about halfway through. I researched both error codes but the fixes given didn’t work. I don’t have a backup which I know is my error. The harddrive I was using for backup got damaged shortly before I got the new Mac. I didn’t replace it because I knew this one was coming in and also money was tight given what I shelled out for this new computer. (Again my bad I know.) Any help is much appreciated.

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 1:04 PM

JessEmily18 wrote:

I am at my wits end trying to transfer data from my old Mac to my new one. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro on os 10.9 and recently purchased a brand new 2021 MacBook. I was able to transfer applications and documents via migration assistant but I cannot retrieve my iBooks, music and photo libraries. It’s essentially the items in my user account. Even though I selected it in MA they didn’t copy. When transferring from old Mac to an external harddrive or usb drive, it starts copying and gets about halfway through then I get the error code 1309 and the copy won’t complete. I tried a direct connection via Ethernet and file sharing to the new Mac . When copying that way I get error code 8084 about halfway through. I researched both error codes but the fixes given didn’t work. I don’t have a backup which I know is my error. The harddrive I was using for backup got damaged shortly before I got the new Mac. I didn’t replace it because I knew this one was coming in and also money was tight given what I shelled out for this new computer. (Again my bad I know.) Any help is much appreciated.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Running the 2012 OSX 10.9 you are woefully behind in the macOS. Typically upgrading 2 operating system is recommended at most...

I will say your 2012 MBP was quite capable of running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware, it only makes it harder and complicates moving your valuable user data —as you have encounter. There is no magical insight how to make this happen...

You may have an easier time if the 2012 was upgraded to at least macOS 10.11.6— a lot changed in El Capitan.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

if you go this route verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

Stair stepping your way up, macOS 10.11.6 , to macOS 10.13.6, to macOS 10.15.7 — then transfer to your new 2021 MBP

This is my only insight to ease the transition problems you are encountering.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 1:04 PM in response to JessEmily18

JessEmily18 wrote:

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Running the 2012 OSX 10.9 you are woefully behind in the macOS. Typically upgrading 2 operating system is recommended at most...

I will say your 2012 MBP was quite capable of running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware, it only makes it harder and complicates moving your valuable user data —as you have encounter. There is no magical insight how to make this happen...

You may have an easier time if the 2012 was upgraded to at least macOS 10.11.6— a lot changed in El Capitan.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

if you go this route verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

Stair stepping your way up, macOS 10.11.6 , to macOS 10.13.6, to macOS 10.15.7 — then transfer to your new 2021 MBP

This is my only insight to ease the transition problems you are encountering.

Error when copying files from MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.