Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing a payment method on the Apple site on a computer?

Hi, is there any way that I can remove a payment method on the App Store from my iPad without going into "Manage Payments" on the iPad itself?

I've had this device at least 6 years, and its age is really starting to show (it apparently can't update past iOS 9); however, I've never had problems managing payments on it until recently. When I go into the App Store or Settings, select "View my Apple ID", and then try to manage my payment information, it doesn't pull up the information but just gets stuck on the Loading wheel for 10+ minutes (sometimes it crashes before then). This also occurs when I try to make an in-app purchase on one of the games I play: it asks me for my Apple ID password, which I input, and then I get a message saying "Verification Required" in bold, which tries to take me to the same "Manage Payments" area but again takes forever supposedly loading.

This is particularly frustrating because I recently received a gift card via e-mail-- I had to redeem it by typing in the code provided, since the link wouldn't work, but it seems it was redeemed successfully since the balance under my e-mail is displaying the correct amount-- but whenever I try to make an in-app purchase, the "Verification Required" message comes up and forces me back to the loading wheel of death. I made an earlier in-app purchase (in the same app, if that's of any relevance) with a debit card, which is showing on the site under Payment Method, so I'm guessing the app is assuming that's the payment method I want to use and I have to remove the card in order for it to draw the money from my Apple funds instead. However, obviously I can't do that on my iPad itself, hence the reason why I want to update it on this site.

Just deleting all the information for the debit card on the site doesn't work; I get a message saying I need to enter a valid card number. But I've already redeemed the gift card obtained via e-mail on my iPad, so I'm not sure I'd be able to enter that again, either. How do I go about correcting this?

Thank you for reading all of this, I'm bad at being concise and wasn't sure what information might be pertinent.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 3:09 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with managing your payment method on your iPad.

The only reason you would need to have a valid payment method on file with your Apple ID is if you have any active subscriptions, iCloud+ storage renewals, or unpaid balances that are owed.

If you have tried to update or remove your payment information on https://appleid.apple.com/ and are unable to, it is most likely due to the reasons mentioned above.

For subscriptions - Try to go to Settings > Name > iTunes & App Store > click on your Apple ID in blue at the top > View > Subscriptions. Cancel any active subscriptions you see.

For iCloud+ Storage - Try to go to Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage to downgrade to the free 5GB plan.

For unpaid balances - Try to go to Settings > Name > iTunes & App Store > click on your Apple ID in blue at the top > View > Purchase History. Unpaid balances usually show first, and have a status of pending. These must be paid in order to continue downloading or updating all Apps, as well as completing new purchases.

Once paid, you can set your payment method to none on the Apple ID website.

Lastly, if none of these apply to you, make sure that what you are trying to purchase does not exceed the available store credit balance on your Apple ID with tax included. If so, it is going to attempt to charge the primary card on file for the difference in the form of a split payment.

*Also important to remember: if you have Family Sharing set up, you must always have a valid payment method on file as the Organizer. Once you Stop Family Sharing, you can set your payment method to none.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 3:09 AM in response to sushimartyr

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with managing your payment method on your iPad.

The only reason you would need to have a valid payment method on file with your Apple ID is if you have any active subscriptions, iCloud+ storage renewals, or unpaid balances that are owed.

If you have tried to update or remove your payment information on https://appleid.apple.com/ and are unable to, it is most likely due to the reasons mentioned above.

For subscriptions - Try to go to Settings > Name > iTunes & App Store > click on your Apple ID in blue at the top > View > Subscriptions. Cancel any active subscriptions you see.

For iCloud+ Storage - Try to go to Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage to downgrade to the free 5GB plan.

For unpaid balances - Try to go to Settings > Name > iTunes & App Store > click on your Apple ID in blue at the top > View > Purchase History. Unpaid balances usually show first, and have a status of pending. These must be paid in order to continue downloading or updating all Apps, as well as completing new purchases.

Once paid, you can set your payment method to none on the Apple ID website.

Lastly, if none of these apply to you, make sure that what you are trying to purchase does not exceed the available store credit balance on your Apple ID with tax included. If so, it is going to attempt to charge the primary card on file for the difference in the form of a split payment.

*Also important to remember: if you have Family Sharing set up, you must always have a valid payment method on file as the Organizer. Once you Stop Family Sharing, you can set your payment method to none.

Hope this helps!

Dec 5, 2021 8:20 AM in response to sushimartyr

The resolution to this issue is often making sure you have entered a credit card or other valid method of payment* even if you don't plan on needing to use it.

If there is an option to select "Review" or "Continue", select that and enter valid payment information if required. If there's problems doing this:

On a mobile device tap: Settings > [your name at the top] > Media & Purchases > View Account > Review Apple ID.

Alternatively this document explains how to 'Change, add, [review,] or remove Apple ID payment methods' on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC; click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201266

More things to try in this 2018 post by Urquhart1244 marked Apple Recommended:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8434425?answerId=33542414022#33542414022

If you continue to have problems contact Official Apple Support - Select your region from the list and then your country from the pop-up window. If you do not see your country, see if there is an "other" listing for that region.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&PGF=PGF63005

*Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT202631

Removing a payment method on the Apple site on a computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.