Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice mail - Viruses

Is it possible to have a virus installed on your iPhone from simply opening a voicemail. I know this sounds ridiculous but I have such horrible anxiety and I received a call from an unknown mobile number from my state and they’ve left a 2 and a half minute long voicemail. I’m sh*tting myself big time, I am so paranoid lol. It’s like why not just text me!!!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 7:38 PM

7 replies

Dec 6, 2021 7:43 AM in response to itwo01

itwo01 wrote:

Of course there are viruses for iPhones. It’s just VERY unlikely to get one, especially trough the visual voicemail feature.
But at the end it’s software, and software always has flaws and errors which could be used to do evil things.

Which is why I said “for all practical purposes”. But now I will go further: There has never been any virus that has infected a non-jailbroken iPhone. There have been a small number of other cases of malware, but none of them ever fit the definition of “virus”, meaning self-replicating and transmissible from device to device. And every vulnerability was blocked by an update within days of it being reported, which is why it is critical to install updates when they are released.

The risk of iPhone infections (usually spyware) changes if you are a high government official, well-known journalist or activist in a country with a repressive government. But most of us normal people can sleep soundly, and not worry about viruses or other malware in iOS or Mac OS devices. For those who fit the vulnerable definition here is some useful information→https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1976/en_US/device-and-data-access-when-personal-safety-is-at-risk.pdf

Voice mail - Viruses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.