Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing location

Does anyone know why my iPhone keeps changing location to another country in the background when the location on the phone says I am in the U.K.-which I am. I find this out when I try to make phone calls and I am advised that the stored contact number is incorrect or I get a foreign automated message that the number does not exist.

iPhone 5c, iOS 10

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 1:21 AM

Please check the Phone Number format stored in your Contact list. There must not be any manually added spaces in between the numbers. However when you enter a phone number iPhone will add spaces, hyphen & parenthesis based on the country code prefixed to the number. That is OK, but do not add manually.

Watch the GIF below

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 1:21 AM in response to MBZZ

Please check the Phone Number format stored in your Contact list. There must not be any manually added spaces in between the numbers. However when you enter a phone number iPhone will add spaces, hyphen & parenthesis based on the country code prefixed to the number. That is OK, but do not add manually.

Watch the GIF below

Dec 5, 2021 1:54 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for responding. Just general use of phone, whats app and messaging etc. I have entered most phone numbers without a +44 prefix and for a long time that has been sufficient. then out of the blue I will try to call home and I will get a foreign message to say that the number is incorrect. I will then go into the settings, change location from UK to another country, then change it back to UK and everything will work for a few weeks and then I will have trouble making calls again....

Changing location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.