Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Management of (RAW+JPEG)

I do not agree with the comments that you should shoot only one or the other...sometimes you want the RAW file to post process more intensively...especially in nature photography. I understand the two are linked and that the RAW has a JPEG attached...but is the only way to separate them to export the JPEGs and then delete the originals and reimport? Can you delete the RAW from the media folder without deleting the attached JPEG if you have shot RAW+JPEG....I think the answer is no. So if you export the RAW media folders will the JPEG still be attached in full size rather than a thumb. Again the goal is to choose a few RAW images for postprocessing but not use all your local HD space. Not all users have a good fiberoptic connection where storing in iCloud works for edits. My pitiful local internet has such low downloads that it can take a minute to get an image off the cloud. Also I have had the experience that my best camera will not show the RAW images in Photos after import...even though it has been listed as RAW compatible on Apples list...I have been waiting for this to update since early 2021 with no luck. I have had to go to Lightroom to use these RAW files.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 10:57 AM

but is the only way to separate them to export the JPEGs and then delete the originals and reimport?

Yes.

Can you delete the RAW from the media folder without deleting the attached JPEG if you have shot RAW+JPEG....I think the answer is no

Correct, the answer is no. You'll corrupt your Library.

So if you export the RAW media folders will the JPEG still be attached in full size rather than a thumb.

This is the kind of thing a simple test will answer for you, no? But it will be the full-size Jpeg.

Not all users have a good fiberoptic connection where storing in iCloud works for edits.

You don't need to use iCloud at all, for anything. It's entirely optional.

my best camera will not show the RAW images in Photos after import

What camera is that?

I have had to go to Lightroom to use these RAW files.

Why use Photos at all when LR is far more capable than it is?

Raw+Jpeg was developed with news and sports shooters in mind, where time is of the essence. If space is an issue then a work flow where you shoot raw, process and then save as Jpeg is perfectly possible.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Nancy Fisher1

but is the only way to separate them to export the JPEGs and then delete the originals and reimport?

Yes.

Can you delete the RAW from the media folder without deleting the attached JPEG if you have shot RAW+JPEG....I think the answer is no

Correct, the answer is no. You'll corrupt your Library.

So if you export the RAW media folders will the JPEG still be attached in full size rather than a thumb.

This is the kind of thing a simple test will answer for you, no? But it will be the full-size Jpeg.

Not all users have a good fiberoptic connection where storing in iCloud works for edits.

You don't need to use iCloud at all, for anything. It's entirely optional.

my best camera will not show the RAW images in Photos after import

What camera is that?

I have had to go to Lightroom to use these RAW files.

Why use Photos at all when LR is far more capable than it is?

Raw+Jpeg was developed with news and sports shooters in mind, where time is of the essence. If space is an issue then a work flow where you shoot raw, process and then save as Jpeg is perfectly possible.

Dec 5, 2021 8:01 PM in response to Yer_Man

You are right...I need to use Lightroom. The camera is Sony A9 from 2018 and Photos has it on the RAW list but it does not work...my Sony RX10-4 and older A6500 all can display RAW. I guess I have used Apple iPhoto and Photos so long it is hard to cut the cord. I really dont want to get into using LR CC on the road to view my photos...too often I barely get wifi where I travel so I have gotten used to looking at photos on my iPAD in Photos. This does not prevent me from then transferring them to LR for edit and archive I guess.

Management of (RAW+JPEG)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.