Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Res video taking FOREVER to load from iCloud

I am trying to use iCloud to manage my video files for editing. What I like is the ability to easily search through my files using the photos apps. Unfortunately, the actual usage of these files is a nightmare because it takes FOREVER to load the full res version of each file I need to use. Here is what I am doing, tell me if I am doing something wrong or if what I am experiencing is not unusual:

1) I keep full res versions in iCloud to maximize space (no way I could store all the video locally on iPhone or Mac)

2) When I need to use a file in FCP, I click to edit the file within Photos. A little white progress reel spins through very quickly, and then I wait. Sometimes for more than an hour, even for short clips.

3) After a seemingly interminable amount of time, the full timeline shows up in Photos, meaning that I can then drag the clip into FCP.

It is not possible to efficiently edit this way. Is this a normal experience? The only workaround I have found is to go to iCloud.com and access the video that way. It downloads the file VERY quickly, but I feel like the quality is not quite as good. Is that real or in my head?

If anyone knows a way to speed up accessing the files – or if I am good to use the ones I download from iCloud.com without losing quality – please let me know! Thank you, in advance, for your help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 9:32 AM

The ones you download from iCloud should be full quality. Does the filesize downloaded match what the photos app tells you it should be? If so, you are good to go.

Alternatively you could opt (on your mac) to put the library onto an external drive, and then keep full size files always local.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

paying particular attention to the drive format.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Rob_Daniel

The ones you download from iCloud should be full quality. Does the filesize downloaded match what the photos app tells you it should be? If so, you are good to go.

Alternatively you could opt (on your mac) to put the library onto an external drive, and then keep full size files always local.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

paying particular attention to the drive format.

Full Res video taking FOREVER to load from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.