Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing comma and period when in portrait mode

I’m not sure if this is a product of the iOS15 & 15.1 updates, but it seems my comma and period have disappeared from the keyboard when holding iPad in portrait (vertical) position.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 9:53 AM

Hello Sorceress53,

We see you're having issues with your comma and period being missing when using the iPad in the portrait orientation. We'd be happy to help you out there.

First, try checking to see if this is happening in all apps that use the keyboard, to help rule it out as being isolated to a particular app.

Also, try checking to see if a standard restart helps, as this may be able to assist with odd issues that crop up: Restart your iPad

If this doesn't help, it may be necessary to try a forced restart. The steps for this can be found at the top of this page: If your iPad won't turn on or is frozen

As a note, you'll usually and generally want to try a force restart particularly in situations where the device is unresponsive or doesn't power on.

Also, try checking in Settings > General > Keyboard to ensure you have the desired options on here. Then, check in the Keyboards section here and see if you have the desired keyboard set for your region/language.

Cheers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Sorceress53

Hello Sorceress53,

We see you're having issues with your comma and period being missing when using the iPad in the portrait orientation. We'd be happy to help you out there.

First, try checking to see if this is happening in all apps that use the keyboard, to help rule it out as being isolated to a particular app.

Also, try checking to see if a standard restart helps, as this may be able to assist with odd issues that crop up: Restart your iPad

If this doesn't help, it may be necessary to try a forced restart. The steps for this can be found at the top of this page: If your iPad won't turn on or is frozen

As a note, you'll usually and generally want to try a force restart particularly in situations where the device is unresponsive or doesn't power on.

Also, try checking in Settings > General > Keyboard to ensure you have the desired options on here. Then, check in the Keyboards section here and see if you have the desired keyboard set for your region/language.

Cheers.

Dec 6, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Sorceress53

Sorceress53,

Thanks for the additional info.

Is it also not showing after tapping the "123" button as well, just to clarify?

Some users have found success by turning the "Enable Key Flicks" option on in Settings > General > Keyboards. If this is already on, try toggling it off, wait a moment, and then switch it back on.

If it still persists, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support for a deeper investigation towards a resolution. This link can help with starting the support request: Get Support

Take care.

Dec 6, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Eric_G1

The characters are missing in all apps where typing is used. For example, Facebook comments or replies, composing an email in Yahoo mail, safari, etc.

please note i have restarted many times since the update, including forced restart. There’s nothing in the settings/keyboard to identify this would be requiring a change. I do use my Bluetooth keyboard the majority of the time to key text, but there’s some apps that don’t rotate from landscape to portrait, and it obviously is difficult to try to key text in those instances, requiring me to use the IPad internal keyboard rather than my hardware keyboard.

Missing comma and period when in portrait mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.