Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent Logic from switching to internal microphone

Heyhey dear Logic Community!

At the moment I'm quite often using the native "External Instrument"-plugin to record my hardware synths. I'm using a Motu Interface for in & output and set the Motu input channel in the external instrument settings, so I can monitor the incoming signal directly on my monitor speakers. So far everything works fine.

But: If I switch off my Motu interface, Logic automatically switches to the internal speakers and unfortunately also to the internal mic. And the "external instrument" plug-in then starts to monitor the internal microphone via the internal speakers... which creates a crisp and loud feedback noise.

And funnily, with the awesome Touch Bar of the MacBook Pro, it takes minimum 5 seconds to long-press on the volume-button and drag down the volume to zero.

This really drives my crazy. Do you have any idea how to prevent it? Is there a way to force Logic to only use the Motu interface and never switch to the internal one? Or is there some other workaround?

Thank you so much!

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 1:04 AM

I just found a workaround solution for this:

• I installed Soundflower to create virtual audio input that is connected to nowhere (so always silent, called it "Fake Input")
  • In Settings > Audio > Devices I selected this virtual input when the external audio interface isn't connected

No when I disconnect the external interface, Logic jumps to the silent virtual microphone. And when I connect the interface again, it jumps to the external interface again.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 1:04 AM in response to razomy

I just found a workaround solution for this:

• I installed Soundflower to create virtual audio input that is connected to nowhere (so always silent, called it "Fake Input")
  • In Settings > Audio > Devices I selected this virtual input when the external audio interface isn't connected

No when I disconnect the external interface, Logic jumps to the silent virtual microphone. And when I connect the interface again, it jumps to the external interface again.

Dec 5, 2021 4:38 PM in response to razomy

Under Preferences -> Audio, in the audio tab select Devices. There you can set the preferred input device. You can set it also to off.

Note: when you close logic, the internal mic will work because the pc is using an audio device. Other audio/MIDI settings can be made in the Preferences App of your mac. You can combine devices or set the desired in-/output’s you want to use. So the input in Logic, is for the input used in Logic. 

hope this clears it a tiny bit 😄

greetz

Dec 7, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Thyss_81

Hey mate! Thanks a lot for that idea, too. I already know the audio settings and I set it to the Motu interface there already. The problem is that Logic automatically switches to the internal mic+loudspeaker as soon as the connection to the external interface is lost.

So I guess I can't set it there in a way that never uses the internal mic for Logic, but still allows it for other apps like Zoom or Facetime?

Prevent Logic from switching to internal microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.