Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same Microphone showing up twice in Apple Preference Sound

I uninstalled logitech ghub (removing the application and some files in Library), and now when I plug in my blue yeti x microphone it is showing twice in input and twice in output. And when I use an application like obs the yeti is also showing up twice. If I go to applications, audio midi setup, it has Yeti x1 yeti x2 yeti x3 and yeti x4. What can I do so it only shows up once. I tried rebooting the computer, plugging and unplugging the USB and that did not help. I have a mid 2015 macbook pro with monterey OS.

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 8:59 PM

Hey again, no worries. I’m not familiar with Yeti, but perhaps this would be a good question for their developers. If you use other input/output sources and they show up just fine, I think that may be a good idea, I don’t believe that for some of those files the permissions can be modified, but if you deleted them, restarted and re-created your setup, that should’ve created brand new default property lists. Does this company require software drivers? Hope you can sort this out.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 8:59 PM in response to sansid3

Hey again, no worries. I’m not familiar with Yeti, but perhaps this would be a good question for their developers. If you use other input/output sources and they show up just fine, I think that may be a good idea, I don’t believe that for some of those files the permissions can be modified, but if you deleted them, restarted and re-created your setup, that should’ve created brand new default property lists. Does this company require software drivers? Hope you can sort this out.

Aug 29, 2023 8:25 PM in response to sansid3

Hey there! Did this second microphone show up only after inputting the new one?

If you need to, and disconnecting all devices, restarting, reconnecting them doesn’t resolve it, you can try resetting the system sound preferences:

Disconnect any connected devices except mouse/keyboard, etc.

Open Finder, on the top menu hit Go > Computer > Macintosh HD (Usually) > Library > Preferences > Audio, save a copy then delete the files in there.

You may also check the user library:

Finder, while holding Option hit Go > Library > Preferences. See if there are any files named com.Apple.soundpref….plist, and delete, you may also check the ByHost folder which is also in ~/Preferences for the same files.

Once the files are removed from those locations, restart and test. Hope this helps!

Aug 29, 2023 9:00 PM in response to DiZoE

I tried to delete Audio but I ran into permission issues which I tried and failed to resolve in Terminal (see below).

I deleted all the files I could delete in Audio, and deleted the other files I found per instruction.

I turned the computer off. plugged the Yeti in, turned the computer on,

still showing me two Yeti microphone. (I only have one microphone, never had two at one time)

sudo chmod -R 777 Audio

chmod: Unable to change file mode on Audio: Operation not permitted

I tried to go into Audio and remove Data from terminal

sudo chmod -R 777 Data

sudo rm -R data

override rwxrwxrwx _coreaudiod/_coreaudiod restricted for data? yes

rm: data: Operation not permitted

Aug 30, 2023 6:07 PM in response to sansid3

I tried to recover the file from an older backup but when I opened

the file with Xcode on Monterey the Yeti is still listed in

com.apple.audio.deviceSettings

I see

appleUSBAudioEngine:Blue Microphones:Yeti X:SN

listed twice (for input and output?)

and then

LogiGamingAudio:Blue Microphones:Yeti X : SN listed twice.

I changed permission to the file in the terminal

sudo chmod -rwx com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

and I tried reopening it in Xcode and delete the lines that pertain to the Yeti

but Xcode says I can't.

I do not know why deleting the file all together did not help.

I guess my mac does not care if the Yeti is listed twice in its plist? Just use the first one and ignore the second one!?

Thanks for your help. I had no idea all those plist existed.

Same Microphone showing up twice in Apple Preference Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.